What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G. 36

LCplCombat

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
Ordnance approved
10686952thl.jpg

Following 3 images from this thread. Images courtesy of roller63

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Size: Length 22.125" Breadth 7.25" Depth 6.75"
Empty Weight 7 lb. 8 oz.

Used for:
No. 36 M hand
Number Packed: 12
Gross weight: 25 lbs
No. 36 M rifle
Gross weight: 27.75 lbs
No. 59 rifle
Gross weight: 21.5 lbs​

No: 36 mills-box markings

Can any-one please measure me the size of the lettering on the sides of the mills box, as i`m making a repro-box and it needs marking up,
what diameter square are the wood blocks inbetween the grenades ?
also the lettering is hard to make out so any help of what to put on will help, as its going to be, 12 GRENADES, NO36 MK1 HAND, 12 DETS, LOT ??
thanks panzerknacker :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Hi bud,

i have found some more Mills instructions etc, just need to copy them and send them to you. they include the stencils for the lettering. I will post on Monday.

Andy

One of the worst Ammo Boxes to handle at 3 Base Ammunition Depot in the 70's as they had been field stored for years, and the rope rotted or the bottom fell out of the case, leading to grenades everywhere!

One observation I will make is that the un-issued 36 Grenade used to be dipped in wax to about the filler plug level from the top to preserve them, and the soldier hand to clean it all off before the fly off lever would operate.

If I may, here are two No.36 crates that I made recently. I am unsure about the markings and color. I use these for WWII display. Thanks!
Jim
DSCI0005.jpg
DSCI0003.jpg

Is there a different designation for the crates with dividers for each grenade and the ones with the simple square posts seperating each six?
I've seem both patterns in photos dating back to WWI.

My Grandfather assembled G36 crates after leaving school in the early days of WWII, and recalls making both types in the same factory in Scotland.

All the best,
PB