What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 18lb Shrapnel cutaway

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Finaly finished my 18lb shrapnel,It was in relic condition when i got it a few years ago.The body has since been filled and repainted.The markings are all duplicated in the same position as the originals which were just visible .It is fitted with a no80 fuze.the centre tube ,pusher plate and ejection charge tin cup are originals.The shrapnel balls were sent to me from fellow member andysarmoury.

Attachments

• DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC00022 - Copy.jpg
    DSC00022 - Copy.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 161
Hello Spotter,
Well done mate, that's an excellent cutaway you have produced for your collection.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Cheers,
Invest
:beer:

Thanks investment,im tempted to have a go at doing the cartridge for it next,only thing is would have to display it laid down as its top heavy enough without having bits cut out of it

How did these shells work? did they explode or just shoot the balls out of the front like a big shotgun? ( I know nothing about shells:tinysmile_angry2_t:)
Cheers, Paul

Hello paul ,yes theyre basically like a shotgun.The attached drawing shows how it works

Attachments

• Allan's 319.jpg
    Allan's 319.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 88
Thanks Allan.
The timing for the shell to go off must have been critical then to get a good shower of balls onto the troops heads.
Cheers, Paul.

Nice piece.

Very nice work Allan, it would be nice to see a sectioned case as they are a little more unusual to find and the whole item really tells the full story.

As for displaying the whole item laying down, have you considered that perhaps you could discretely rivet the case on or solder it onto the steel projectile (not really a good idea now it is painted) or even use a glue ?

I'm sure you could find an 18 Pounder case with a crack in it. That would be ideal as you could cut out the bad part and make good use of an otherwise junk case. You would probably be able to get a cracked one for less as well.

Hello Falcon,i already have a cartridge for it,i just need to figure out how to stop it toppling over,With the extra weight of the lead shot its bad enough now and once the case is cut it will be even worse,
Im thinking of getting a weighted wooden base made for it which may solve the problem,

Attachments

• 1aDSC00028.jpg
    1aDSC00028.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 57
WOW, thats an awesome work, really, really impressive. Have you done more of these cut-aways? Please Id like to see, (and other members for sure too), more of them. I dont know why, but I love the cut-aways. I try to get one cut-away from every grenade or round that I have. Here is a pic of all the cuts that I have by now. The first US MkII with yellow inside was made by myself from an original body converted in an ashtray. Took me several weeks to remove the smoke smell. I have sent two pics of the grenade to Pauls website some years ago, and they still are there! Thanks Paul!
http://www.paul-spence1964.com/

Attachments

• Cut-Aways.jpg
    Cut-Aways.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
shrapnel shell

What a great job mate!! I'm too much of a coward to try cutting a shell!

Looks great.

These things always remind me of the poors bastxxxs stuck in the trenches trying to get some sort of cover from surface detonations,only to be showered from above by large ball bearings!
And thats not including gas,trench raids,drowning from the mud,rats,snipers,and miners planting tonnes of Amanol under your trench.
And what about the horiffic hand to hand fighting with trench clubs and knives?
Hell on earth.
I believe we should remember these men on both sides,when we look at our collections, and also remember those thousands upon thousands that still lay in the fields of begium and France.

A couple of years ago on a visit to an area near Ypres,i'll never forget looking at the ground and seeing shell fragments mixed with pieces of bone,and wire.
Standing there amonst this carnage, I couldnt help but shed a tear.
And as the years go by,the amount of bone fragments dosnt decrease,but often increases as the land is worked.
Its heartbreaking to think all those mothers and Farthers,waiting for their sons to come home,and still today relatives are searching for the fallen whose remains are scattered never to be returned home.

Sorry to get all serious,but I feel it needs saying

Doug

The First World War was probably the last war where medieval style hand-to-hand combat with clubs and knives took place on any scale.

You might think about fabricating a cradle contraption. Think a music stand with a "V" where the music would go and proportioned properly. I got a bunch of power tools for the purpose of making stands for all of the stuff I accumulated.

What a great job mate!! I'm too much of a coward to try cutting a shell!

Looks great.

These things always remind me of the poors bastxxxs stuck in the trenches trying to get some sort of cover from surface detonations,only to be showered from above by large ball bearings!
And thats not including gas,trench raids,drowning from the mud,rats,snipers,and miners planting tonnes of Amanol under your trench.
And what about the horiffic hand to hand fighting with trench clubs and knives?
Hell on earth.
I believe we should remember these men on both sides,when we look at our collections, and also remember those thousands upon thousands that still lay in the fields of begium and France.

A couple of years ago on a visit to an area near Ypres,i'll never forget looking at the ground and seeing shell fragments mixed with pieces of bone,and wire.
Standing there amonst this carnage, I couldnt help but shed a tear.
And as the years go by,the amount of bone fragments dosnt decrease,but often increases as the land is worked.
Its heartbreaking to think all those mothers and Farthers,waiting for their sons to come home,and still today relatives are searching for the fallen whose remains are scattered never to be returned home.

Sorry to get all serious,but I feel it needs saying

Doug

Funny, that's why I doubt that I would ever visit a WW1 battlefield.

Colloden had that effect on me.

Great job Spotter.What have you used to set the balls in?
Richard
Hello everyone thanks for the comments and suggestions on stopping it falling,
ref fixing the balls,,i just stuck them in with pva glue then once set in place i watered down some more glue and poured it over the balls so they were about half covered ,it dries clear as well