What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

152mm Naval rocket

doctor

Here a German rocket FLAK of 152 mm to double hollow-charges explosive, engine between the two loads and with unfolding of cable retained by parachute
There is a pyrotechnical lighter in the load of nose which must function by impresses gases of the propelling loading charge.

What is strange it is that the second load in the shape of cone is not connected at all to the warhead and does not comprise a detonator nor of system of starting
Is what it is the hollow-charge of warhead which acts as initiator of the second charges very distant since is interposed between the two loads the engine?
A US document names it Rocket Aerial-Wire Barrage

Attachments

• rocket-1.jpg
    rocket-1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 201
German Rocket

i cannot help you with information, but i have a better picture from my own collection, also in my rocket the steel cable is inside, but i don't think that there was any filling of explosives, but i am not sure, Ben

Attachments

• 15,2 draadzeil.jpg
    15,2 draadzeil.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 149

Hello Ben! What had the rocket for a fuze? Do you have pictures of him? Greeting Harry

Hi ben
Very beautiful specimen
Mine was used and i've pick up in wet open quarry
There were both explosive load which had not functioned
Thanks

Let me excavate this old topic... :)
Is what it is the hollow-charge of warhead which acts as initiator of the second charges very distant since is interposed between the two loads the engine?
This is exactly the way, the selfdestruction worked. The forward hollow charge was initiated via a delay train from the engine, while the rear charge was ignited by sympathetic detonation (but, as far as I know, it was fitted with a booster???).
The engine was started via an electric igniter placed inside the combustion chamber, connected to wires leading through one of the nozzles.
According to a Canadian report, I've seen, a rocket they fired released the parachute at 450 m height (in spite of carrying 900 m of cable) and exploded 5 s later.

The selfdestruction is, sadly, not explained fully. It is stated, the forward charge was initiated by an electric fuze (what I doubt), while it's written, it is not known how the rear charge was ignited.
One more question, I see now, considers the dimensions. This German gives the OAL as 175 cm, while the OP-1666 and the Canadian report (I'll have to find it, I see) give the OAL around 145 cm. I wonder, what is the truth? :/

Hi,

I use an image measurement software named ImageJ to validate your information. (You can set a scale based on known informations)
The measurement are not exact as they are made on a small picture but... It seems Grzesio is right about the length. But it's impossible to validate a thesis on a picture.
Here is a summary of the results :

Measure.jpg

Regards,

S.

here is what I have.
Bob

Attachments

• s095.jpg
    s095.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 35
  • s096.jpg
    s096.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 35
  • s097.jpg
    s097.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 39
  • s418.jpg
    s418.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 45
That's pretty the same report, I mentioned. But "mine" was prepared by Canadians and there was some information not included in this one here, considering the place the rockets were found - a bomb depot in France, as far as I remember. The cross sectional drawing was the same, with the same inaccuracies, but I think there was no external view drawing.