What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

55 A y

eod si

hi guys found your interesting site through google and hope you can help.

i have a 55 A fuze, which also a has a y marking and was hoping anybody can shed some light onto how this particular beast operates.

thanks for any info you can spare.

Hi The (55)a fuze has a rolled steel case and a wire protruding out of the shoulder this attaches to a nose switch and is used on amongst others the 50 kg bombs with Dinort rod a steel rod designed to explode the bomb above ground.
the Markings should read EIeAZ(55)A then the 3 letter code ie CPP letter Y then a waffenam,pt stamp and finally batch number
Steve
There is a picture of the nose switch in the fuze section

Attachments

• Nose switch 001.jpg
    Nose switch 001.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Nose switch 002.jpg
    Nose switch 002.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Nose switch 003.jpg
    Nose switch 003.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info fuzeman, no doubt i will be asking for a bit more help in the future. i am currently trying to catalogue a collection, with quite a few pieces i dont know.

thanks for the info fuzeman, no doubt i will be asking for a bit more help in the future. i am currently trying to catalogue a collection, with quite a few pieces i dont know.

No worries pal,

As Steve says,they are a few of us in BOCN that can help you out.Lots of bomb fuze fans here!:tinysmile_shy_t:

best

waff

I just bought a EI e AZ 55 A on auction yesterday,it also has the "Y" stamp does this indicate this is anti handling in this type of fuze as well..

Attachments

• 111screenshot.jpg
    111screenshot.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 34
Hi The Y on the (55)A fuze means an Extra item has been fitted in this case it was a nose switch

Aye,i got caught out with that one too Spott! I once thought had bought a `Y` fuze for a tenner! :xd:
Still nice fuze to have.

best

waff