What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German smoke grenades

+++

This is second (rarer) elongated variant of Rauchsichtzeichen 160. Or Handrauchzeichen (type with metal body), but I would make a bet on first one rather.

Last edited:
I found this about the grenades.

I'm not sure the blendkorper14 is the Bk1H...

Attachments

• german explosive ordnance 003.jpg
    german explosive ordnance 003.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 47
  • blendkorper14.jpg
    blendkorper14.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
+++

Sure 1H, 14 is mistake. Here a picture of a "Shaving stick", roller63 was selling it here.

Attachments

• MVC-642S.JPG
    MVC-642S.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 43
Grenadier,
the picture in your last message shows "Landungsrauchzeichen" yellow smoke signal charge - the same as in my picture at the beginning of thread. Red knob shows 1 sec. delay typical to this charge.
Shaving stick grenade was a HE grenade of different design and with 4-5 sec. delay.
What is ment about "HK14 is mistake" I don't understand. The one in my picture is a real one. It was found live ( not by myself ) and the founder did cut the thin end and removed the contains in a dry frosty weather ( it still created some smoke ) before giving it to me.

Then the Shaving Stick exists as an explosive grenade? And yours are only Smoke Grenades? If this is yes, the Lexpev page is wrong.

I have never seen a shaving stick grenade in real life and can't say more than the datasheet which Pascal posted tells. From this datasheet I understand it was HE ?
All grenades in my actual picture contained smoke composition.

This so called shaving stick grenade did never exist as an explosive grenade. One of many misinformations you can find in US manuals. It's nothing but a common smoke signal.

Cheers

engineer

The yellow "Shaving/Smoke" grenade showed by Grenadier hasnt vent holes as usuall in the smoke grenades. How the smoke go out of the body?

The yellow "Shaving/Smoke" grenade showed by Grenadier hasnt vent holes as usuall in the smoke grenades. How the smoke go out of the body?

This is exactly the same as "Landungsrauchzeichen" in my first photo. There is a small hole on right side of the top cover, the same in my grenade. Obviously the whole problem is American manual misunderstandingly calling it "Shaving stick grenade": Correct German name is Landungsrauchzeichen, it's a yellow smoke signal grenade for Luftwaffe. Another mistake in US manual is 4-5 sec. delay time. Instruction label on German grenade states the same as red fuze knob; 1 sec. delay. (So, information in this manual is totally wrong - unless there really exists another totally different grenade - "shaving stick"?? )

I have this grenade made from a cluster bomblet that i thought was the "shaving stick grenade"
can anyone give this a positive identification?
Paul.

Attachments

• Page7shavingstick.jpg
    Page7shavingstick.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 25
In any case it does not match with drawing in US manual, if such one at alla exists? I think this is just one of the late war emergency grenades.

Attached 2 photos of my small but complete collection of Rauchsichtzeichen orange.

Cheers

engineer

Attachments

• 3 Rauchsichtzeichen 1a.jpg
    3 Rauchsichtzeichen 1a.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 3 Rauchsichtzeichen 1b.jpg
    3 Rauchsichtzeichen 1b.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 44
I have this grenade made from a cluster bomblet that i thought was the "shaving stick grenade"
can anyone give this a positive identification?
Paul.

Hi Paul:
Yours is an emergency grenade made from a parachute-dropped "Splitterbombe SD 0,5kg" as you can read in the Lex site. Not a "Fallschirmjaeger grenade" nor other rare things it was called. This is a totally positive ID of this late war emergency grenade.
And back to the Shaving grenade, the Lex site is right then. In all these years and with all the collectors in Europe I have never seen one, so maybe it never existed as Engineer says.

Last edited:
Grenadier,
the picture in your last message shows "Landungsrauchzeichen" yellow smoke signal charge - the same as in my picture at the beginning of thread. Red knob shows 1 sec. delay typical to this charge.
Shaving stick grenade was a HE grenade of different design and with 4-5 sec. delay.
What is ment about "HK14 is mistake" I don't understand. The one in my picture is a real one. It was found live ( not by myself ) and the founder did cut the thin end and removed the contains in a dry frosty weather ( it still created some smoke ) before giving it to me.
Hi,
Yes, "Shaving sticks" have been never real existing ammo by my opinion too. About the "BK 14" - correct name is "BK 1H"; your item is real without doubt.

Hello

Yes, I know, it's an old thread... ;-)

Today, I read another file about grenades and I saw (yes, I know, now I must be prudent with books) the shaving stick grenade is explosive.

It's from : German hand & rifle grenades. Bulletin nr 59. Mar, 7 1944.

I think, really, the picture in the firts message was the smoke grenade; but can we really name it the shaving stick grenade ?

Attachments

• bulletin57_1.jpg
    bulletin57_1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 20
  • bulletin57_2.jpg
    bulletin57_2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: