What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To paint or not to paint

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
I am sort of wondering what the thinking is on this.

Take a look at rhe shells, below. I could very accurately match the color and repaint/touch up.

What do you folks think?

Attachments

• three abc.jpg
    three abc.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 54
A and B i would leave ..if thats the original paint on them i wouldnt even touch up ,C i would more than likely repaint unless its a rare-ish round..thats just my opinion

I would leave them full stop.Only items in relic condition should be restored and repainted. best

waff

I agree.Leave them be.Most of the time Id be down right giddy to find any original paint at all.

I would leave them all as they are, too. I only repaint items which have so poor metal surface that I have to use epoxy filler to make the surface.

Agree with you all. It was sort of a passing thought.

BTW, #3 is supposed to be black, I think.

repaint

i would leave them too.
I enjoy renovating and painting rusty ordnance,i think its a hobby all on its own.
Identifying something and getting it back to its former glory is most satisfying to me,and i learn more that way too.
Infact this is mostly the stuff I collect.

But i think anything that is complete,and has even a little of the original paint left on,then i'd leave well alone.

Repaint?

Hello All,I would go along with the majority view on this,any original paint
has got to be a bonus point.

Having said that,I did at one time obtain numerous pairs of the readily available aircraft/AA cannon rounds, most of these had the blue T/P projectiles.
These are a bit boring when there's lots of them,IMO,so once I found out
what colours the service projectiles are,out came the Humbrol paint and a roll of masking tape.

This,I found quite therapeutic (I must start getting out more!!!),the rounds look a treat,although I must admit a little bit of artistic licence with one or two of them.By the way,any one else think Humbrol model paint is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Chris.

Chris.

Hello All,I would go along with the majority view on this,any original paint
has got to be a bonus point.

Having said that,I did at one time obtain numerous pairs of the readily available aircraft/AA cannon rounds, most of these had the blue T/P projectiles.
These are a bit boring when there's lots of them,IMO,so once I found out
what colours the service projectiles are,out came the Humbrol paint and a roll of masking tape.

This,I found quite therapeutic (I must start getting out more!!!),the rounds look a treat,although I must admit a little bit of artistic licence with one or two of them.By the way,any one else think Humbrol model paint is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Chris.

Chris.

More than a little I'd say.

;)

Attachments

• shell_155mm_artillery-thumb.jpg
    shell_155mm_artillery-thumb.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 15