What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how much is a panzerschreck rocket ?

Hi all,
It'd be really great if someone could post a clearer picture of that connector pin at the back of the rocket in the wood block in Ammodillo's picture and, even better, without the wood as in Mike P's. Mike P. hasn't read my PM about the picture he posted in 2009 and Ammodillo hasn't been heard from since 2009 either !!! If someone else has a rocket with such a pin attached could you post a picture before you too disappear ?
Thanks,
Bill

I was looking at Mike P.s pix and wondering if they were taken in a shop or museum maybe. I see he's in N.Y. and was thinking I wish I had known about this place I could have gone there instead on this last "vacation" to Times Square for the fourth (what a zoo !!). Quite a while ago I had searched for a museum that I had read was on Mattituck, North end, but didn't find it. I'm on the West Coast so I don't get out that way often. ; )
I had gotten some pictures of a Swedish (I think) poster of the rocket and it showed the pin in the wood block, a drawing, and there was a thin flat piece on the opposite side of the block on centerline with the pin similar to how a nail would look if it had been driven through the block. The pictures Mike posted of the pin doesn't seem to support that but it's hard to tell.
We shall see.
Bill

Hi all,
It'd be really great if someone could post a clearer picture of that connector pin at the back of the rocket in the wood block in Ammodillo's picture and, even better, without the wood as in Mike P's. Mike P. hasn't read my PM about the picture he posted in 2009 and Ammodillo hasn't been heard from since 2009 either !!! If someone else has a rocket with such a pin attached could you post a picture before you too disappear ?
Thanks,
Bill

I'm still interested in those pictures if Mike P. has time to take them or if anyone else has a Pschreck rocket with the wooden connecter.
Thanks,
Bill

Bill ...I'M ALIVE !!! :) , I just PM'd you
Wow, It's going on a year pretty soon. I'm old so it only seems like a few months. Hope all is well.
Anybody else come across any examples of the connector for the 'schreck rocket ?
Bill

Maybe it'll turn out I'm overthinking this but the image of the pin (I'm assuming it IS the connector pin at the base of the rocket) seems to indicate the pin had the wire from the igniter soldered to it and then was pushed in from the top of the wood block. I have images of a Swedish (?) poster of the rocket that indicates the pin has a washer type base and was pushed in from the bottom of the block (Post war mod ?)
connec pin.jpg
I looked around and came up with a couple of items that make suggest solutions, a Hex nozzle as used for attaching hoses and a Knock-in wood insert that was just "knocked-in" and the teeth held it in place.
hex nozzle.jpgKnock-in insert.jpg
Looking at the fuzzy original pin image it looks like there are teeth-like projections at the middle of the pin spaced around the circumference and flat shapes at the right end of the pin, the insertion end, that might be shapes that work like the shapes that retain the rubber hose inserted over the right end of the Hex Nozzle above.
Opinions will be greatly appreciated.
I know, the obvious question is "Who cares ?" or Hillary's "At this point, What difference does it make ?" It makes a difference to somebody and that somebody is me !
Regards,
Bill

Happy New Year all. Still looking for an example of the plug and would be very happy for just a photograph that shows the wire soldered to the pin or a picture of any WW2 German wooden plug that shows how the wire is attached to the pin and held in the wood.
Thanks,
Bill

I'm sneaking up on it ! Here's a picture of a partial page out of the manual D1864/6 that shows the experimental rocket being loaded into the late war Pschreck. Points of interest are the curled wire coming down from the igniter to the base of the pin at the wood block, no indication of the pin on the opposite side (from the pin) of the wood block so the base of the pin was pushed into the block with the wire soldered onto the pin. Can also just make out the slot cut through the pin along it's centerline.
One little picture would put us all out of my misery !!!
Bill
Ah well, I'm going in circles ! Found a post I did in July 2011, http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...ocket-connector/page2?highlight=panzerschreck, post #13, showing that page from the manual. Sigh ! Well, at least today's image is bigger and easier to "read". I'm NOT going to check file sizes and find out I'm wrong there too.

Attachments

• laden2.jpg
    laden2.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Nothing yet ? I just got back from a Normandy Invasion Tour of S. England and the coast of France and didn't see any examples of this pin there either. You would think there would be stacks of them at the factories where the igniters were assembled and also where the rockets were put together. Also at the training grounds.
Bill

Last edited:
Hello! Here some photos from the firing pin (charge igniter) of 8.8cm Panzerschreck. Greeting Harry

Attachments

• SAM_1911.JPG
    SAM_1911.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 43
  • SAM_1912.JPG
    SAM_1912.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 37
  • SAM_1913.JPG
    SAM_1913.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 40
Hello Fussee2004,
That s a very nice example. I would also really like to see an example of the plug that used to be at the end of one of those wires in as good condition !
Regards,
Bill

Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year, this is the third anniversary since I received a reply from MikeP to my post about the connector pin on his schreck rocket. I was reminded of that when I found the attached picture of dug up schreck rockets in my stack of image DVDs. They all have the later cut down version of the connector which makes it even harder to understand why I can't find any examples of the wood block and pin !? I know, broken record. I found a MikeP on another forum but he denied any relation. Ah well, on with the search.
Kind Regards,
Bill
img327%20(Large).jpg

Thanks (belated) to Harry for the pictures he posted.
Does anyone know what the German designation is for this igniter ? Like the connector it's impossible to find ! I believe I saw it once but can't find it in my stack. [
Kind Regards,
Bill
QUOTE=Fusse2004;264478]Hello! Here some photos from the firing pin (charge igniter) of 8.8cm Panzerschreck. Greeting Harry[/QUOTE]

Nothing yet ? I just got back from a Normandy Invasion Tour of S. England and the coast of France and didn't see any examples of this pin there either. You would think there would be stacks of them at the factories where the igniters were assembled and also where the rockets were put together. Also at the training grounds.
Bill

Surfing the net I found the attached image of a display at Batterie Todt near Calais . I was beating myself up that I didn't see it on our trip until I found out it was about 300 miles away from where we were on tour .
It would be great if someone on this forum reads this and happens to go there and gets a few closeups of the area circled to post here. It's the stuff that dreams are made of !
Bill

batterietodtsept09 (13) copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 7.42.19 PM.jpg

I came across an auction on ebay that had various pieces from a German bunker, supposedly WW1 and these two slotted pins each about 2 3/4 inches/ 70mm long by 7mm diameter. There are holes at the bottom of the rods and remnants of solder and wire along the sides. I wonder if these might be similar to the elusive Pschreck igniter pin ?

DiskusDefSchema2 copy.jpg
I came across an auction on ebay that had various pieces from a German bunker, supposedly WW1 and these two slotted pins each about 2 3/4 inches/ 70mm long by 7mm diameter. There are holes at the bottom of the rods and remnants of solder and wire along the sides. I wonder if these might be similar to the elusive Pschreck igniter pin ?

Found out what those pins were used in . . . the 1915 German Disc Grenades ! They were the safety rods, one per grenade . See attached diagram . Would be a nice simple solution to the connector pin question though !!!
Bill