What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAF 20mm Hispano and 40mm Vickers 'S' help

40mm SBH

I think it is a MkV or VT if the tracer compound has been removed but unfired its probably a V, to check, it should weigh 3lbs and I would expect to see 40m/m V stamped on the side, sorry cant tell from your photo. Dont think it could be anything else. Nice projectile, I have a mkI or II less plug rebanded and dented on the base, still it was cheap and in a 40L60 case, didnt know what it was til I got it home.

Unfortunately due to the corrosive pitting on the projectile it is impossible to see if there is a V present.
The weight is correct at 3lb which is good.

Were all the different Mk's of AP projectiles the same length?

Thank you again.
PC

Attachments

• 40mm stamp.JPG
    40mm stamp.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 51
40mm shell length

Pity about the corrosion always at the stampings its worse, metallurgical that is where the stress is and that goes first given the chance. Dont know about the lenght of each mark mine has a large threaded hole almost full dia. and is 161mm long but not sure if its MK1 or 2. Perhaps others can let us know the length or their 40mm S AP.

Both of mine are crimped into the case but the distance from the tip of the projectile to the centre of the crimping groove on the case is 155mm on both. Presumably this is close enough to give you an idea.
Dave.

length 40mm S

Hi Dave, what mark are yours? mine tip to groove is 152mm, curious that they are crimped in, I've a practice also crimped in but why would anyone want to crimp them in or were they inerted by unscrewing the primer and emptying out that way?

Hi I think they're Mk IV. They're the heavier shot.

Both have been inerted by unscrewing the primer - see photo earlier in this thread of the photo through the primer hole and pictures of the rounds.
The rounds are both almost identical.

1 came from Beltring about 5 years ago off a guy who was disposing of his collection, the other came from a stall in Brecon militaria show about a year ago.

I assume that the crimping is original.

Dave.

Made a little more headway in my investigations. Turns out the HE round used in the 'S' gun was called;

H.E. Mk.III.T
weight: 1lb, 13oz, 12dr
charge: 2085 grains of NQ/S
muzzle velocity: 2310 f/sec

Anyone else have any more info/pictures of this round?

Thanks

Hello folks, great forum and contributers you have here. Spent quite a long time just reading all the threads from way back.

Anyway, I'm working on a project that deals with RAF ammunition, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few aspects of the types mentioned in the title.

20mm Hispano:
tracer mk.I
- does anyone have the composition/filling of this round?
- any data out there with regards to its penetration?

cartridge case
- does anyone have a cutaway image or diagram?

40mm Vickers 'S':
armour-piercing and high-explosive
Well I'm really in trouble with this one, I can't find any information or sectioned images on these rounds. I have data and and an image on the AP Mk.VI, and that's it.

Specifically I'm looking for the marque of AP and HE rounds that were the most common/used. I have a feeling the AP Mk.VI is a later round.

Thanks for any help.

A couple small pieces of the puzzle that might help with the bigger picture, seems that the HE round used 'strikerless and 246 fuses.'

That mean anything to anyone?

Thanks

Made a little more headway in my investigations. Turns out the HE round used in the 'S' gun was called;

H.E. Mk.III.T
weight: 1lb, 13oz, 12dr
charge: 2085 grains of NQ/S
muzzle velocity: 2310 f/sec

Anyone else have any more info/pictures of this round?

I believe i have this 40mm caliber HE round.I received my example from old Oy Ammus ammunition factory worker here at Finland.Both casing or projectile are without ANY markings.

SDC13275.jpgSDC13277.jpg

Nice round,does the fuze unscrew from the shell? If it does could you take some close ups please? Did Finland use the Vickers 2 pounder??? It looks to replicate the HV projectile used in British service but with the earlier MK1 crimp. Cheers Tig.

Nice round,does the fuze unscrew from the shell? If it does could you take some close ups please? Did Finland use the Vickers 2 pounder??? It looks to replicate the HV projectile used in British service but with the earlier MK1 crimp. Cheers Tig.

Fuze needs proper tool for opening.It have one round slot for tool.I will search proper tool and take pictures.
I already removed casing primer adapter and looked inside.Projectile have tracer cavity on the bottom without tracer element itself.

And yes,Finland used Vickers 2pounders.Navy ships had Vickers AA-guns and also few examples in the army.

Picked this up today, stamped 40 M/M A.P.SHOT
Any ideas why this would be marked SHOT rather than just the usual AP?
S gun1.jpgS gun2.jpgS gun3.jpgS gun4.jpg

Last edited: