What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10" anti-submarine shell

leeski

hi all not sure this is in the correct place but here goes

newest item to my collection heres what i have found out about it
The 10" anti-submarine shells were fired from a pre-rifle mortar affair with a hydrostatic fuse and acted exactly as a modern depth charge. The base of each shell has rifling studs to engage in the barrel of the mortar. The flat plates on the top are to control the rate of descent in the water.
if anyone has any more info i would be greatfull

regards lee

Attachments

• 10 inch sub 003.jpg
    10 inch sub 003.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 10 inch sub 002.jpg
    10 inch sub 002.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 102
  • 10 inch sub 001.JPG
    10 inch sub 001.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 103
Anti Sub Bomb

Really interesting Anti Sub Munition Lee, thanks for sharing that with us.
I assume it must be fairly rare ?

thanx chris ive only ever seen 3 from the same collector. spotter yes thats the sister of the one i got may have that one too

regards lee

Hi Lee,

Is your round British?

There is a description of a 7.5" Anti Submarine BL Naval Howitzer in "British Artillery Weapons and Ammunition 1914-1918" by Hogg and Thurston.

The write up mentions a similar 11" calibre howitzer being issued. They also mention the fact that from June 1st 1918, flat discs were provided to fit between fuze and shell to spoil the trajectory underwater and make the shell dive more steeply.

The picture of the 7.5" gun in the book shows poly groove rifling rather than the 6 groove rifling on your shell.

The later Squid 12" A/S mortar was smoothbore. It went into service in 1943.

Here is a link to a squid round.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HMCS_Haida_Hamilton_Ontario_june07_10.jpg

Hi Lee ,was this a bigger version of the 7.5inch BL naval Howitzer? The 7.5 was usually fitted to ships,minesweepers ,etc but i have seen a picture of one on a mount at Conan Point ,Inverness Naval Base .If i remember right i think the flat discs were fitted from mid1918 ,nice round and thanks for showing it ,Dave

thanx for the info glevum thats squid round looks great and im sure mine sub shell is british

regards lee

hi dave not sure if its bigger than a 7.5 inch or not i supose it would be

regards lee

Lee,

I think I have a case for launching a squid somewhere. If I can find it I'll post a picture.

Will.

Cases

Hi Leeski,i collect propelling charge cases for British depth charges,and have cases for 10.5 DCT, A/S 12 (squid) ,various, and 10" Mortar, Check previous posts,will post some pics if needed. Also ask Quatermass as he has some nice bits.Regards Tony,:tinysmile_fatgrin_t.

Whoops.i think the 2 pdr case used as a
a depth charge thrower in
ww1 on, was marked 9.5 DCT not 10.5.My cases are in the loft.Anybody confirm details.

hi tony i do have a case in the shed somewhere will have to dig it out and see what its for

regards lee

I have a 2 Pounder case dated 1929 that is also marked as being for 9.5" DCT.

I have also seen a large anti submarine mortar case dated 1962.

10-inch RML Bomb Thrower

You might find the attached drawing of the 10-inch RML BT of interest. Note the 'reversed breech' arrangment with combustion chamber. The 11-inch was more of a conventional howitzer. Both equipments used bombs of the type you have as well as a spherical bodied 'stick bomb'.

Attachments

• 10RMLBT.jpg
    10RMLBT.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 113
10-inch RML BT Propelling Charge

I'm sorry I don't know what the propelling charge looked like for the 10-inch BT. In my experience, which is somewhat limited, Naval Gun Handbooks tend not to show much detail about the ammunition; unlike Land Service Handbooks which usually cover the basics.

The Navy do have their equivalent of the Treatise/Textbook of Ammunition and they might have had equipment ammunition manuals but if they did I have never seen one.

The Navy Ammunition Pocket Book for 1924 shows the stick bomb (like the 2-inch Toffee Apple TM bomb) with a No 8 Hydrostatic Fuze. It came in 200-lb, 350-lb, 500-lb and 600-lb sizes but the only propelling charges that it shows are for the 4.7-inch BL anf 12-Pr 12 cwt QF. The Navy 1935 Handbook of Ammunition does not mention the BT at all.

I can say that Naval Ordnance Department drawing NOD813 (which would originally have been CINO813) shows "Cartridge, Drill, RML 10-inch Bomb Thrower I" but before you ask I only the reference, not a drawing. If you find a source of WW1 Navy Ordnance drawings let me know.

I have a 2 Pounder case dated 1929 that is also marked as being for 9.5" DCT.

I have also seen a large anti submarine mortar case dated 1962.

I have one of those 2 pdr cases as well (they certainly did get around: pom-pom, Vickers S, sub-calibre and DCT as well!)

I also have a 64x170R case for the Limbo mortar, headstamped A/S 12 1959.

Just picked up on this thread - I had in my possession, many years ago, a cut-down re-stamped 18pdr case for the 10" Bomb Thrower. As has been mentioned before, one of many examples of cases being re-used for other things.

By the way - I think I recall a 10" Bomb-Thrower on display at the Submarine Museum in Gosport; can anyone confirm?

Depotman