What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colt CR - 26 cannon rounds.

SG500

Premium Member
At the risk of boring you folks, heres a few more unusual ones.
Colt 26 X 130 experimental aircraft cannon rounds from the 1970's plus link.
Any information on these would be of interest, can't find out too much about them.
Bother inert and expty etc.
Dave.

Attachments

• 26mm Colt.JPG
    26mm Colt.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 154
These rounds you post are not boring by any means, alot of them I've never even heard of.

After much searching I finally obtained a Colt 26mm APFSDS.
Any info on this would be of interest.
Since taking the photos I've been reliably informed by Bill Woodin that the dart sits entirely inside the sabot with the fins protruding out of the rear of the fibreglass sabot, will retake photos when I get a minute.
Thanks.
Dave.

IMG_6667.jpgIMG_6669.jpgIMG_6670.jpgIMG_6671.jpg

The sabots for my round are a bit different, but the dart is the same.

After much searching I finally obtained a Colt 26mm APFSDS.
Any info on this would be of interest.
Since taking the photos I've been reliably informed by Bill Woodin that the dart sits entirely inside the sabot with the fins protruding out of the rear of the fibreglass sabot, will retake photos when I get a minute.
Thanks.
Dave.

View attachment 88003View attachment 88004View attachment 88005View attachment 88006

Hey Dave,

Here's mine. Sorry about the quality of the pic. I will take better ones for the post. It looks like you are missing one part to your APDSFS-T. There is a tiny tracer cup that inserts into the back of the fins. I think I have an extra for you!
....JR
image.jpg

Hey Dave, Here's better pics of mine. You are missing the Tracer Cup out of the back of your APDSFS-T. You'll notice in pic #2 & 3 the extra primer cup I have. I've had that cup for 3 or 4 years and hoped it could be of use to someone. It looks like it has a new home now. I'll put it in the mail to you this week. I'm looking for another complete round with a loose projectile. I need the case for my APDSFS-T projectile and a friend of mine needs a projectile. I guess you need a case also, so I will watch for you one too. One piece at a time, we build our collections!

Thanks
......JR

26mm Colt (1).jpg26mm Colt (2).jpg26mm Colt (3).jpg26mm Colt (4).jpg26mm Colt (5).jpg

Just a point to note: this was developed for AFV, not aircraft, use (hence the production of APFSDS). The role it was designed for was eventually filled by the 25x137 Oerlikon (which started life in the USA before emigrating to Europe).

Hey Dave, Here's better pics of mine. You are missing the Tracer Cup out of the back of your APDSFS-T. You'll notice in pic #2 & 3 the extra primer cup I have. I've had that cup for 3 or 4 years and hoped it could be of use to someone. It looks like it has a new home now. I'll put it in the mail to you this week. I'm looking for another complete round with a loose projectile. I need the case for my APDSFS-T projectile and a friend of mine needs a projectile. I guess you need a case also, so I will watch for you one too. One piece at a time, we build our collections!

Thanks
......JR

View attachment 91918View attachment 91919View attachment 91920View attachment 91921View attachment 91922

Great photos thanks for showing them.

Dave.

26mm Colt Display.jpg

I finally go my 26mm Colt Display together. I feel quite fortunate for being able to get so many complete rounds and missing components.

I want to express my sincere appreciation to SG500 and Dick for their help. I would not have been able to do it without their help!

Very cool.
A really well put together display.
What's the round on the left for?
Dave.

Very cool.
A really well put together display.
What's the round on the left for?
Dave.

Hi Dave, it's a Swiss Fin Stabilized round. I don't think it's a proof round since it's solid aluminum, so it may have been a test projectile for that fin design.

I was just looking through this thread (Great rounds you have there guys!) and I was looking at the APFSDS projectiles. Most APFSDS have locking rings on the penetrator for the sabots to lock onto, how does it work with these projectiles? As I dont see any locking rings to keep it in place so what would stop it from just sliding out in the barrel?

I was just looking through this thread (Great rounds you have there guys!) and I was looking at the APFSDS projectiles. Most APFSDS have locking rings on the penetrator for the sabots to lock onto, how does it work with these projectiles? As I dont see any locking rings to keep it in place so what would stop it from just sliding out in the barrel?

The fins can't get passed the sabot until the sabot falls away. I don't think it was a successful design.

Just some additional info about the gun: the CR-26 was the largest gun designed by Australian Russell Robinson, who designed several low-recoil guns from machine pistols upwards, using "floating firing" to smooth out the recoil impulses (CR = Constant Reaction). The peak recoil kick was said to be similar to the .50 BMG.

Unfortunately, the timing was wrong (how often does that happen?). Initial US interest in an AFV gun faded for a while, and by the time it was revived Robinson had left Colt and his gun was forgotten.