What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

labelling collection items

2pounder

Premium Member
Not sure if this is the best place for this question and discussion but here goes.
I've catalogued my collection each item detailing when, where, and how much, when I got it and put it on a spread sheet to give a nice numbered list with makers markings, dates etc etc and put small sticky labels on the item with the reference number so it can be looked up on the list. But after a few years the sticky on the labels has let go and the items are becomming un marked. Somewhere in a thread I've seen details of what pens are best to write on metal without leaving corrosion. Please advise best thoughts on marking up cases. Ta.

Hi.
Ive started labeling my grenades with tiny little tie on labels that are readily avallable at most post offices. I think they come in packets of 200.
Cheers, Paul.

Dont use sticky or pens for mark your items, please. You have to use the way of Paul which dosnt damage the item. The stickers can leave their own mark on the cases and pens the same. A little or bigger cardboard label with a cord will be perfect.

Attachments

• etiquetas1.jpg
    etiquetas1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 26
I have labelled my collection items with small ( 5mm x 15mm ) plates cut from 0,5mm aluminium plate with number stamped on. They are attacted with soft steel wire. A detailed list with corresponding numbers is in my computer and a printed copy in a safe place.
A good idea is also sometimes take close-up photos of all your collectables and store them in a safe place. If something happens and you go to your insurance company to ask for compensation this helps a lot.

labels

Thanks for ideas, had tried labels held on with rubber bands a while ago but the bands leave nasty marks very quickly.
Will look at tie on labels at stationers, then I can write what it is and its ref. no. I do agree taking good photos of items as they are put into ones collection is very good practice and easy with digital which can be stored on disc in a safe place even another house or office in case of fire ( like the rest of our valuables photographed).

Labelling to museum standard.

The correct way to label items made of stone metal etc, as used in museums, is to clean first with an evaporating solvent,ie methylated spirit,being careful not to drink it! Then when dry coat in a non reactive resin called acryloid B72,when dry label with indian ink with your item no,or description. When dry apply a sealing coat over the ink and allow to dry. This is durable and to museum standard and will not react or yellow.This only needs to be a small area in an inconspicuous place,ie case base. I cant find a link to a uk supplier,so ask your local museum. Ideal for big collections.Tony:tinysmile_fatgrin_t.