What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is this mysterious Brit???

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
I have a book that belonged to one M. J. Willis, Chief Superintendent/Ordnance Factories 1903.

This clearly was a man to be reckoned with. The question is: who was he? What "Ordnance Factory" would one be aware of ca. 1903?

This book is entitled "Naughty Artillery Madness" .... no, that is a joke. It is really entitled "Notes on Artillery Material and Experiments" and is dated 1903. There is no clear indication of publisher or place. There is a note on the cover and title page "Attention is called to the Act 52 and 53 Vict., Cap. 52."

Sound serious.
I suspect HMSO, London and Woolwich.

Anyone care to hazzard a guess or two?

Csof

The Chief Superintendent of Ordnance Factories (C.S.O.F.) was in charge of the various government factories. In 1903 this would have included Woolwich (both Royal Laboratories and Royal Gun Factory), RSAF Enfield, RSAF Sparkbrook (Birmingham), Royal Powder Mills Waltham Abbey and several other minor establishments.

It was a major job and was concerned with production and the fabric of the factories. He had to work in conjunction with the Chief Inspector of Small Arms, Chief Inspector of Small Arms Ammunition and the other senior members of the inspection department who were independent of the factory hierarchy.

Ultimately, they all reported to the Ordnance Board and the Master General of the Ordnance.

Regards
TonyE

ARtillery experiments

New to the list.

I'll see if I can dig up the Chief Superintendent's name in 1903. I've got the annual reports from the factories, and I'd like to think that the name of the Chief Super would be on it.

I've also got some colleagues locally that might be able to help sort it out.

I'm interested in the title you have. Been trying to source a copy for a few years without much luck.

Regards,

Matthew

mysterious brit

Intereting...according ot the Annual Account a HF Donaldson was Chief Superintendent of the Ordnance Factories from at least 1902/03 to 1903/04....I'm looking for some other dates, as well.

J Willis

Think I have him but I'd need a Whittaker's 1902 Almanac to pin him down.

He appears to have been a Comptroller of Accounts when Bainbridge was Chief Superintendent prior to Donaldson.

So, I presume what you have is a book that belonged to the Comptroler of Accounts, J Willis, who worked in the office of the Chief Superintendent.

At least that is how I would interpret it with what I've looked at so far.

Bainbrige goes back into the 1890s as Chief Super while Donaldson appears to have held the post until into WWI. Not much room for a J Willis in there.

Matt

copying of Notes on Artillery Material

My interests are in the Coast Artillery and Fire Control side of things.

I can't remember exactly how that book is split up, but I have a feeling it was something along the lines of Field Artillery, Moutain/Siege Artillery, Coast Artillery, and then Misc.

The Coast Artillery section plus Fire Control would be of the greatest interest to me.

Matt