What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US made butterfly bomb

tube8

Nice body from post war US made butterfly bomb. Found on military show in Italien

Attachments

• DSC09483.jpg
    DSC09483.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC09484.jpg
    DSC09484.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 172
Thats in great condition by the looks of it. you can tell the difference from the German and American drouges by looking at on the American version it has no external lugs and is held closed by a spring clip.
Steve

Are the easy to get hold of these days than the German WW2 one's.

Im curious to know how the early versions of this were painted and marked.Any one have info?

Hi lou,
Im sure they were green and marked M48?? Ive to go out shortly but im sure one of the boys will sort you out the info?

best

waff

The one i have here is a practice version and is painted Black all over , with white stencelling on the end.
Steve

These M83 are painted Olive Drab with a yellow band around it
Steve

These M83 are painted Olive Drab with a yellow band around it
Steve
Im currently in working on getting one for my collection.I think it will need a repaint so knowing how wide the yellow band is would help,and if the band is only on the warhead or on the wings too?

Hi Lou
On both the drouges and the bomb body as for width i cannot find out anything on the size , will see if i have a picture of an M83 that was sold 2 years ago at Beltring
Steve

Hi Lou
On both the drouges and the bomb body as for width i cannot find out anything on the size , will see if i have a picture of an M83 that was sold 2 years ago at Beltring
Steve
Thank you sir.Id also like to know if its easy or even possible to find a fuse and booster cup for the M83?

Must say i am quite enjoying this forum guys. Does anybody know what lot number WC is? Something Washington or Wabash...brain is getting old.

Nice body from post war US made butterfly bomb. Found on military show in Italien

Must say i am quite enjoying this forum guys. Does anybody know what lot number WC is? Something Washington or Wabash...brain is getting old.

I believe WC is Wolf Creek Ordnance Plant - Tenessee .........................maybe someone else can confirm this

regards Kev

after just PMing with Kev we both came to the conclusion that the M83s dropped in Korea and Vietnam were in fact just old stock from World War Two. Can anyone verify this? Would be great to find out if in Fact the M83s were still being procured in the 50s.

I'm pretty sure that the production of the M83's continued well into the 1950's, perhaps beyond. Though I suspect that the stocks used in the Vietnam war would have by that time been old surplus stock. Submunitions by this stage had well superseeded the butterfly bomb, which must have looked ancient in comparison - though nontheless deadly.

regards Kev

Here's the M83 from my collection.

The body is Marked: M83 EGS-1-18
The wings are marked: M83 COC 115

Does anybody know the manufacturers?

Mine is in Original paint and stencilling and there is no yellow band.

Thanks in advance,
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• M83 butterfly USA.jpg
    M83 butterfly USA.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
thats one very nice example of an M83 you have there DJH

wonderful to see.
not sure if I have the manufacturer, but will have a look when I get a chance

regards Kev

DJH,

American manufacturers aren't my area but,

I have COC as -
CONPAC Corp,
1053 Constance St.,
New Orleans, LA 70130

EGS as -
Elegant Garments,
7923 S Halstead,
Chicago, IL 60620

If the last one is correct, one presumes they either made suits of armour or believed in serious diversification. The property is now a budget supermarket.

TimG

Here's the M83 from my collection.

The body is Marked: M83 EGS-1-18
The wings are marked: M83 COC 115

Does anybody know the manufacturers?

Mine is in Original paint and stencilling and there is no yellow band.

Thanks in advance,
Regards, DJH

Nice butterfly DJH. What sort of fuze is in it?

Dave.

Good bet

Regrds, DJH

Attachments

• Fuze M129 for M83 Butterfly USA.JPG
    Fuze M129 for M83 Butterfly USA.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 42