What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian J mine

25thapril

Here are a few pic's and data about the J mine the same fuse also fitted the 3" and " 4.2" mortars as booby traps I have some info I will try and find detailing this.

Attachments

• bocn 038.jpg
    bocn 038.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 167
  • bocn 039.jpg
    bocn 039.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 188
  • bocn 030.jpg
    bocn 030.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 196
Interesting device thanks for showing it,,i have always wrongly assumed Australia used exactly the same ordnance as the UK,look forward to seeing more of your posts
regards allan

Here are a few more details

Attachments

• j mine 001.jpg
    j mine 001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 174
  • j mine 002.jpg
    j mine 002.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 150
25th,

I'm assuming that's M.E.T./V cast in the body, in which case that's Metters K.F.B. Pty. Ltd of Footscray, Melbourne.

TimG

Hello Ivashkin sorry for the delay but I had to find the books again, the articles are from a set of books published by the Australian Army they started in Oct 1942 as Army Ordnance memorandum { Australian }the objects of this publication are
[a] To promulgate general information regarding new equipment where normally such information is only received by units which operate the equipment . For instance, information regarding new ammunition is normally only promulgated to the artillery , yet other arms of the service should know the tactical characteristics.

To promulgate changes in organization ,etc,in the Ordnance service which should be known outside the service.
The second book pub in Jan 1943 the name changed to MGO Equipment Memorandum the last book I have is dated Aug 1946. In Book 3 Feb 1943 they started publishing articles on Japanese weapons/Ordnance etc
a great little set filled with vast amounts of info ranging from Japanese soap bar booby trap to how to wrap 3 in mortar bombs in a special waterproof bitumenised paper for tropical use

Hello Ivashkin sorry for the delay but I had to find the books again, the articles are from a set of books published by the Australian Army they started in Oct 1942 as Army Ordnance memorandum { Australian }the objects of this publication are
I sow in this book about mine Mk. V words, that this mine produce in Australia. Thant`s why I`m asking about this book - very interesting to know which else land-mine did Australia produce during WWII? :)

Hi. Attached is a copy of the manual cover where reference to the J mine can be found. I've not managed to find an original copy of the manual, With these mines were found a number of wooden rectifiers. I think I still have one and will post a pic when I find it, Cheers

Attachments

• J mine pamphlet.jpg
    J mine pamphlet.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 78
  • J Mine.jpg
    J Mine.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 84
  • Pistol Trip Mechanism 4 BOCN.jpg
    Pistol Trip Mechanism 4 BOCN.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 89
Finally got round to putting the fuse on my one (thanks Colin) and putting a reproduction plug on the Body (Thanks Rob)

HPIM0052.jpgHPIM0071.jpgHPIM0051.jpgHPIM0072.jpg

Hi Dave,

It looks great! Well done. Here's one of the rectifiers that were found in the same area as the mines.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 25
Trying to find an archived copy of the subject Reference "Middle East Training Pamphlet No6 - Part XI". Not sure if the Pam is Aust or UK produced (although the cover shown above was printed in Melbourne). Not found in Australian Archives or Australian War memorial library dbases.

I have sufficient UXO/EOD info for the Mine, from above; and my own library has complete details of the Pistol Trip mech.

Would be nice to round out the library with a pdf of the Pam 6

Cheers
Pedro.

Hi Dave,

It looks great! Well done. Here's one of the rectifiers that were found in the same area as the mines.

Cheers

The Rectifiers were provided with the Detonators and were used for dilating the hole in a Guncotton primer, but not a CE primer. CE primers gradually replaced GC Primers but Rectifiers were still provided with Det No27. Pistol Trip Mech was supplied with CE primers hence the rectifier would be discarded.
I note the rectifiers above as made at the Ordnance Factory (MO) in Melbourne, where they also made wood and metal boxes and projectile bodies.