What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

identifying a 303 round

LCplCombat

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
Ordnance approved
heys folks found an odd round in my collection. its a standard .303 but on the bottom
= 1943
DI Z
it doesnt quite make sense to me, year of manifacture check, but 501 z?
there is an other = 1942
DI VII Z
is 501 a manifacturer? if so what mk Z round would the 43 one be?

someone on another forum is trying to identify a round, can anyone help?

I think his confusion is in the DI. I think he thinks this is a Roman Numeral for 501 but I'm not sure. Could it be a manufacturers initials?

This is a .303 round made in 1943 by Defence Industries Ltd., Canadian Industries Ltd, Park Avenue Plant, Montreal, Canada. The "Z" indicates that it used a nitrocellulose powder instead of cordite. The other one is made by the same company, but the "VII" indicates it used a British style Mark 7 bullet.

What you have is standard Canadian issue ball ammo.

DI = Defence Industries, Verdun Canada

VII = Mark 7 ball

Z= Nitro Cellulose powder

1942 = year of manufacture.

What you have is standard Canadian issue ball ammo.

DI = Defence Industries, Verdun Canada

VII = Mark 7 ball

Z= Nitro Cellulose powder

1942 = year of manufacture.
Not just Ball Ammo. I have seen regular DI cases used for G MkII Tracer and W MkI Armour Piercing. Rather have differing headstamps for each variation of .303, for a time at least Defence Industries used one common case.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 50
Universal headstamp

The use of the Defence Industries headstamp with simply the manufacturer, date and "Z" for nitrocellulose was an attempt to improve production by using a "universal" headstamp that could be used for any load, with a tip colour to indicate special loadings. The practice seems to have started in 1942 and carried on until 1945.

I have ball, tracer (red tip) and grenade discharger (blackened case), but have never seen an AP.

303gunner - Does the AP have a green tip? Are they relatively common your way?

Regards
TonyE

I have ball, tracer (red tip) and grenade discharger (blackened case), but have never seen an AP.

303gunner - Does the AP have a green tip? Are they relatively common your way?

Regards
TonyE
The AP have a Green Tip and no colour in the Primer Annulus. They are not common here at all, in fact the only pack I have seen is in a friend's collection. I'll try to get a pic next time we catch up.

Green tip

I would be very interested in seeing a green tipped Canadian AP. and even more interested in trading for one. Can you ask your buddy if he is interested?

Regards
TonyE

.303 w1

Hi
Just to say i've an .303 ammo with green balls but not AP , it's From Italian
Incendiary balls, no annulus color, BPD 39
I've AP cartridge , RG W1 44 an 43 no colored ball an Green annulus
C-P 1942 W1 with no colored ball and a Green annulus

AP

The normal marking for British AP was a green annulus, which is what you have. The green tipped Canadian round is unusual. Normally the only green tip .303 AP one encounters is the Kynoch 1948 export contract item.

Regards
TonyE

From left to rignt, W1, my Incdy, FN50 Tracer for FM BREN , G IVZ RAF day tracer, incendiary mk VII and VII Z, Stand, Mk VI, Mk VII, Mk VI FN, APX 3.22 BA
I've also BZ, BIV, B VII, Mk IV, G II , G V, G VI, VIII Z

Attachments

• 303-1.jpg
    303-1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 24