What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clam Mine

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
The clam is a Mine/demolition charge which is attatched to the target by strong magnets.It contained 8oz of HE.IT could penetrate 25mm of plate metal and was capable of cracking engine blocks,and bending rail track.The Mk1 was made of tinned steel,The Mk2 and Mk3 were made of bakelite.A "L" delay was used to detonate this device
This image shows the clam as found
Copy_of_b_clam_mk3-6c15fed9b2f01d4b29e4d07035f967f4.jpg

Last edited:
hi
This clam was found in Yugoslavia with of the other one british bobby trap. It results from a EOD working collection
2me65w8.jpg

28bwnc2.jpg

Au revoir
Jean Paul

ICN the Yugo found clam is originly from Russia,Britain supplied these to Russia as part of war aid,The one for Russia is shown on the left and the British on the right,different markings.
clams2.jpg

Thank you for the answer the difference is really small.and the Switch its the same ?
regards
Jean Paul

a good question ..i dont know if they used the same L Delay ,i would think its a good chance they did ,if we supply the charge why not send with the Switches,,,,,,,, anyone else help here ??

Can someone explain the significance of the green and yellow stripes? I understand the 55/45 indicates the ratio of TNT to CE and assume that the stripes also have something to do with the type of filling. Does anyone have a reference that explains this?

Hello, clam-owners

just having missed to acquire a type II or III clam :tinysmile_cry_t4: I wonder how much such a piece in reasonable condition could be worth?

just having missed to acquire a type II or III clam :tinysmile_cry_t4: I wonder how much such a piece in reasonable condition could be worth?
i sold one a couple of years ago for roughly 180 i have seen others go for around the same amount

Nice item Spotter, love the markings absolutely superb
regards
MG34NZ

The markings i showed in the earlier post are i think from Mills Grenades website...the attatched pictures show the markings on the ones we found at work..

Attachments

• Allan's 286.jpg
    Allan's 286.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Copy of d clam mk3 base.jpg
    Copy of d clam mk3 base.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Limpets

Notwithstanding the special limpets made for specific operations there were three generations of limpets in British service:

1. MD1 designed circular limpets. Four marks developed during WW2. The image shows a Mark II.

2. ES6 designed rectangular limpets. Initial design with ten magnets but mostly seen with six. Two marks produced and another on the drawing board by the end of the war. The image shows a Mark I.

3. ES6 designed limpets for the Sleeping Beauty Programme (motorised submersible canoe). Standardised rectangular charge container with various configurations produced by the use of harnesses. The image shows the Buoyant limpet.

Hope it is of interest when you are rock pooling for limpets.

Attachments

• Limpet MD1.jpg
    Limpet MD1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Limpet Type 6.jpg
    Limpet Type 6.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Limpet SB.jpg
    Limpet SB.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 161
WoW Bonnex,

Thanks for posting! I had only seen the ES6 in the middle before today.

Last edited:
Limpets

Thanks Hazord,

You had your own version of the 'Rigid Limpet' as the ES6 rectangular was sometimes referred to. The US (OSS) version had a charge container made in plastic. Some were sent over here but plastic had already been ruled out in the design of the limpet because it was not compatible with the explosive fillings used over here.

WoW Bonnex,

Thanks for posting! I had only seen the ES6 in the middle before today.

Last edited:
Spotter I looking this magnets to my clam mine. You got it yet? I would be very grateful for your help.

Last edited:
Here are the markings on mine, what does the 3 in the green band indicate?

Attachments

• MKIII British Clam.jpg
    MKIII British Clam.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 115
Could the colors mean the same thing they do in grenades,you guys can correct me,I did not check my books but if I remember right green means its been waterprofed.
vinny

:tinysmile_classes_t

OK, but look in the middle of the green, there is a number three - what does that mean?

Code 3

Jeff,
The code on a band like this is usually to do with the filling composition, standard of TNT or RDX etc., used in the mix for instance. I have 3 recorded as PE but I will do a bit of homework to see if I can find a definitive answer.