What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

250lb and 10lb

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Got more documentation on airdropped weapons or more info on already posted documents please post it in this forum
250lband_10lb.jpg

Here is my 10lb practice bomb. weighs considerably more since it has been filled with lead to make it inert:huh: It is a 1937 pattern bomb and has at some time been chrome plated and painted over. I will in due course return it to it's correct coloours & markings.Photos hosted by Photobucket.com...you dont lose them!;)

Bomb003768x576.jpg

interiornose768x576.jpg

@blimy.. you have to check for the correct font (see markings on nose section). And you are missing a striker assembly including pins and tag btw..

Bomb body Color = off white (satin)
Markings text = black (probably satin)
Striping = light green (1/2 Inch width)

tech details in next post.. (read carefully!)

I like these practice bombs ,very first item i found caused a bit of a fuss when my dad found me walking home from the old airfield with it sticking out of my pocket,,anyway
Is the casting stamped anywhere as i have seen 11.5lb with Lead filling,these come in several weights ,heres some basic measurements

8 lb...length 16 in
diameter 3.0 in

10 lb...length 18 in
diameter 3.0 in

11.5 lb..length 18 in
diameter 3.0 in

25 lb..length 22 in
diameter 4.0 in

bocn_11.jpg

Thanks all, never seen so much info on it before...terrific!
Right, my example is completely filled with lead. the hole in the front where the striker assembly goes is filled to the brim. The safety pin holes are also filled in. you can only just make out where they were.If you can make out on the image the lead fills to the interior flange, as i said, completely solid. Pity really, i watched one go on ebay last week for £71 or something :eek:hmy: You know, looking at it again, it might be just the striker recess hole that is filled... Hmmm:S
interior_nose__768_x_576_.jpg

Were these ever adapted from real bombs or designed from the start to be practice items, they look remarkably similar to pre-war anti personnel bombs as carried by the Lysander ect.

from what i undertand from the documents i have this type were made as practice bombs

corblimy wrote:
..they look remarkably similar to pre-war anti personnel bombs as carried by the Lysander ect.

The trouble with bombs is, the are all look-alikes for the untrained eye..
Therefore, allways photograph with a tape meassure or take meassurements.

I will give you a nice example (about lookalikes)..
lookalikes.jpg

The first one is the one we were discussing (11 Lbs)
Guess what the second bomb is, looks allmost the same i would say.

and here's the second one (different tail, same type) on the flight line...
bdu_33_DFST8707681_JPG.jpg

It's a BDU33, practice bomb btw.

BDU-33
Practice ordnance includes 25-pound BDU-33 bombs having a spotting charge that releases a cloud of smoke on impact. The BDU-33 is used to simulate the MK 82 in low drag configuration. The BDU-33 is a small cast-iron and steel non-explosive ordnance that is used in training to simulate actual bombs. These training munitions, by design, have similar flight and delivery behavior to war shot munitions.
They may contain signal devices to aid visual scoring. Generally signals can be grouped as “hot” or “cold”. Hot signals normally use a phosphorous component expelled upon impact with the force of a shotgun. The phosphorous causes a narrow flame lasting a fraction of a second followed by white smoke. This signal can be scored by day or night. Cold signals normally use titanium tetrachloride and only produce smoke; night scoring is hampered by absence of visible light. Training aircraft ammunition used for air-to-ground strafing consists of bullets without explosive components. The propellant is consumed within the gun when the round is fired and only a steel or aluminum-capped steel slug is projected to the target.

As ammodillo has just pointed out in the last post ,just because a bomb or other type of ordnance is practice it does not mean it is free from components likely to cause injury

Extremely interesting, thank you both. I wont be able to look at the thing in the same old boring light again.
More questions though, the '37' stamped inside mine, does it mean 1937 as I imagined? I have seen another with '38' inside. or wishful thinking on my part?.
And regarding service life, were these able to be recovered and used again, or dropped and forgotten, I cannot imagine anyone digging these out of Bombing ranges to reuse.