What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 77 Smoke WP Mk1

lexpev

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Introduced in February 1943 (Mk1), declared obsolete March 1948. Canadian Army used these up to the mid fifties.
No. 247 always fuze, tinned steel plate body. Black markings on green body.
Top collar WITH fuze unscrews to reveal the tube where a detonator No.63Mk1 or Mk2 was inserted.
Source: DW Lynn, TGRM

Length: 118mm, Diameter: 58mm. Weight 383 gram. Filling: 227gram White Phosphorous.

hallo,
once i found this one as a dugup, filled with liquid, so i think he was not only filled with \"wp\".

Hello 3in,wondering if the one you found was a Mk2 almost identical apart from had a flat base..These used Titanium Tetrachloride,which according to Wikipedia \"is a dense colourless distillable liquid,although crude samples may be yellow or even red-brown\" it also states that due to the corrosiveness of this smoke it is no longer used..hope this helps ,

hallo spotter,
unfortunatly its quit some time ago, by that time i did not have a digital camera, so i'm not sure about that.( i don't have him anymore ),
but one thing is for sure , it was def. colourless liquid, and extreem corrosive

Im pleased you brought up this subject,as i have never found one of these grenades yet,(seen them empty at arms fairs)so was good doing a bit of research especially when you mentioned liquid fillings,I always expected smoke to be phosphorous or composition ,today i have learned different ..Thanks 3in

i think i have the def. info for you as a proof it was being used with liquid as well, even it was mentioned here for training, i had found it on war ground

smoke_wp_no77_mk1.JPG