What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some old shells on my shelf

2pounder

Premium Member
Thought I'd post a picture of some old empty unfuzed shell I have picked up from various places, thought they might be interesting to those of us who like very old things. All are nominally 3in calibre ie 9pr or 12pr.
From left to right they are Read shell ? c1860, Armstrong common shell date 1888, Studded RML common shell dated 1878, and Whitworth solid bolt c1870.

Attachments

• old shells.jpg
    old shells.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 224
Great condition.

They appear to be in very good condition for something so old 2 Pounder !

ave you re-furbed them or are they "as were" condition ?

Very nice Whitworth, I'm still struggling to track one of those down.
Dave.

old shells

Only the Whitworth has had nothing done to it, and has a few dinks and small vice marks on the plug cos probably someone didn't know they have a LH thread, makers markings are all clear. The studded had the rust brushed and treated with Genolite, light fill P38 then paint. The one I think is an American Read had the same treatment but a bit more P38 on the front bourrelet having been fired and the Whitworth bolt was described as looking like an 'iron turd' before restoring again similar sequence as above but my lathe doesnt do hexagons so loads of hand work to blend.

Wow great things to have in your collection, most of us would struggle to find one of those for our collections. The resto work looks good.
Do any other members have any 19th century items to show?
Best Weasel.

Hi,
Those oldies are beautiful. may I ask where you obtained the 3 inch C.S.A. Read shell with time fuse adapter?
Regards,
Bart

oldies

Only the Whitworth has had nothing done to it, and has a few dinks and small vice marks on the plug cos probably someone didn't know they have a LH thread, makers markings are all clear. The studded had the rust brushed and treated with Genolite, light fill P38 then paint. The one I think is an American Read had the same treatment but a bit more P38 on the front bourrelet having been fired and the Whitworth bolt was described as looking like an 'iron turd' before restoring again similar sequence as above but my lathe doesnt do hexagons so loads of hand work to blend.

Thanks for the info 2 pounder and a really interesting set of "oldies" you have done a cracking job on them-you even have one Dave (SG500)doesn't have :tinysmile_hmm_t:

oldies

Thanks for the compliments on my work. The Read shell ( C.S.A.- not sure what that refers to) and the studded and the Whitworth all came from a fellow collector in the UK did a deal and swopped some bits for them. The Armstrong which I called a Whitworth in my last post, anyway the lead coated one, came from a shop in Bournemouth area in 1991, saw it and realised I had to have it, fortuneatley the price was fair, what its worth now goodness knows.
I might have one Dave hasn't but from his posts I suspect he's got lots I havent.
2PR

Wow great things to have in your collection, most of us would struggle to find one of those for our collections. The resto work looks good.
Do any other members have any 19th century items to show?
Best Weasel.

I posted a couple of Whitworth bolts a while ago. I have a few other things that I can add.

Thanks for the compliments on my work. The Read shell ( C.S.A.- not sure what that refers to) and the studded and the Whitworth all came from a fellow collector in the UK did a deal and swopped some bits for them. The Armstrong which I called a Whitworth in my last post, anyway the lead coated one, came from a shop in Bournemouth area in 1991, saw it and realised I had to have it, fortuneatley the price was fair, what its worth now goodness knows.
I might have one Dave hasn't but from his posts I suspect he's got lots I havent.
2PR

CSA=Confederate States of America

Love the RML shell.

U.S. & U.K. Projectiles;

The C.S.A. is for Confederate States of America or a southern rebel shell. It is a 2.9 inch caliber Read shell that looks like it has been fired. The copper time fuse adapter would hold a standard paper wrapped time fuse.
The next shell appears to be a RBL Armstrong projectile, can't see fuze but more than likely has the shipping plug in it. The next one is the copper studded projectile made by either the Elswick Ordnance Company, if it has those initials on the ogive or by the Royal Laboratory and will have the usual RL stamped on its base. The last is of course a very nice 12 pdr Whitworth shell or bolt (can't see the nose).
Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator: