What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Seventeen seconds"

Does the book concerning a bomb defusing on a cross driving ship act???

Hallo Fusse2004

Dieses Buch ist ein must fuer diejenige die Interesse haben an der Geschichte der Sprengkommandos des zweiten Weltkrieges

17%20secondes.JPG

auf :
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/thierry.vareilles/album.html

mfg von Paris

---

title : 17 seconds because the ZUS 34 fuze has a 17 seconds mechanical mecanism to produce the explosion...

zus34.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Softly Tread the Brave

Southall, Ivan
Angus and Robertson (Australia, 1950's): Companion Book Club, 1960,
the legendary account of the work of a group of Australian 'Rendering Mines Safe' Officers, amateur yachtsmen who joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and came to UK in October 1940. During officer training at HMS King Alfred they volunteered for RMS work and four were chosen. Such was the demand that they left their course unfinished and went straight for training at HMS Vernon, the RN School of Torpedoes and Mines at Portsmouth, afterwards dealing with numerous land dropped sea-mines in the towns and cities of the United Kingdom, illustrated,
____
Summary: “‘On land, one part is always alive. The bomb-fuse. Don’t let that scare you either. If anything goes wrong you’ll hear the fuse run. It’s a time-clock. You’ve got seventeen seconds. So when you hear that fuse run, you go like hell. You leave racehorses for dead. You jump clean over ten-foot walls. When she goes up you’re four-hundred yards away or else ...’ Such doubtful reassurance was characteristic of the disheartening, incredibly brief training period from which a band of Australians were dispatched to render safe live weapons capable of leveling a city block. Among this small group were Hugh Syme and John Mould, and it is their exploits in England during World War II that make the substance of this book. Theirs was an almost suicidal existence, requiring superhuman courage and nerves of steel, with their lives dependent on the timing of summer lightning or a child’s wooden spade. Using diaries, tapes, interviews and official documents, Ivan Southall relates some of the tension-packed achievements of these two men. It is not a story of combat, but a gripping, suspenseful, sometimes humorous narrative of adventure and a powerful, unsentimental tribute to the tremendous heroism of these two men.”
------------------

Last edited:
Its one of the best books ive read well worth looking out for a copy , allthough long out of print .
Steve

Hello! Here the German counterpart to the book!!! Manfred Rauschers Sprengkomando describes the history of the weapon clearing service lasts to 2 WK.Super made and for each somewhat thereby. This book is difficult in Germany to get. Greeting Harry

Attachments

• Bild 332.jpg
    Bild 332.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Bild 333.jpg
    Bild 333.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Bild 334.jpg
    Bild 334.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Bild 335.jpg
    Bild 335.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 39
Hi Harry
I met Manfred many years ago when he was over in the UK a nice chap , i know his book is very hard to obtain, i think Manfred died last year?

Its one of the best books ive read well worth looking out for a copy , allthough long out of print .
Steve

Hello

You can buy The book on internet (new editions) .
here :
[ame="http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&rlz=1W1ADBF_fr&q=%2B%22Softly+tread+the+brave%22+%2BSouthall+&meta"]+"Softly tread the brave" +Southall - Recherche Google[/ame]=

--

Hello! Here the German counterpart to the book!!! Manfred Rauschers Sprengkomando describes the history of the weapon clearing service lasts to 2 WK.Super made and for each somewhat thereby. This book is difficult in Germany to get. Greeting Harry

Himmelfahrtskommando .

yes , i have read this very good book :tinysmile_fatgrin_t ...... and have the (34) fuze .....

--

Last edited:
Hi KZ11gr
If you look in the fuze threads i did a piece on both the (34) AND THE (34)b Fuzes with pictures

Hi Kz11gr
Look under bomb Fuzes then go to page 3 Look for German Areial Mine Fuze34B and you will find all about the 34 fuzes.any problems i can probably relocate them for you
Steve

Last edited by a moderator: