What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17pr construction and markings 1946

Prices for 17 pounders

Hi here's a few prices I've seen over the last year for the 17pr rounds, they very a lot depending on condition, date and who is selling it.

APCBC - between 75 and 150
APDS - between 250 and 300
APC - between 100 and 200
Flat head proof - 75
Short HE - 200 plus
Long HE - one went for over 500 a few years ago
Smoke - never seen one for sale
Littlejohn - they only ever made a few so they would cost an absolute fortune, I've only seen a design drawing of one!!!!!!!!!!

The short cases cost more, there is one on the link below for sale.

http://www.jcmilitaria.com/details.asp?ID=873

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Hi all,

This is my first post here (I will make an introductory post straightaway). Sorry to add to a very old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows the identity of the document that MadBomber31 was posting photographs from?

I have been trying to work out just exactly how many different rounds were available for the 17 pounder and it hurts my head. (e.g. was a timed fuze round available for both full and reduced capacity HE?)

Pictures come from:-

'MAINTENANCE MANUAL FOR THE ORDNANCE, 17-PR., MARK 1 ON CARRIAGE, 17-PR., MARKS 1 AND 1W AND ORDNANCE, Q.F. 17-PR., MARK 5 ON 3-INCH GUN MOTOR CARRIAGE, M10 1946

Manual 17PR.jpg

Are the No. 8 tracer plugs in the base of the HE projectiles made of brass or steel? How are they secured to the projectile - threads or press fit? I plan on making a reproduction projectile out of steel, copper and brass. I would also appreciate it if someone had the height and other important dimensions for the shortest HE projectile. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
The Plug, Base, Shell No.8 is steel, screw threaded and is made to be removed to take the Tracer Shell No.13 for the all the HE projectiles.
The HE/T is 9.28", HE/HC/T is 9.94" and HE/Super HC/T is 11.82".
The only reason for the shell lengths being given in a service publication is because of the commonality of shells with the 77mm tank gun and the fact that certain marks of cased shell were too long to fit into the tank stowage racks and in some cases the bustle was not long enough to permit loading.

Last edited:
Forgive me for asking, but why would you want to fit a Base Plug No.8 to a QF fixed shell, which is only for use at production, to prevent damage or due to a shortage of Tracers Shell No. 13. These would not be seen outside a Royal Ordnance Factory.

My interpretation of the drawings in this thread are that each HE shell had the no. 8 plug on the bottom, and then the tracer was screwed into the plug. What is the thread size on the no. 13 tracer?

Last edited:
I take your point. I do not know what drawings you have. I would have expected to see threads in the service drawing that I have if it was screw threaded to take Tracer No.13.
This tracer was also used in 6Pr HE/T but these are long gone.
Unfortunately, while Tracers No.11,12 and 14 went on into 20Pr the No. 13 died, having been made obsolete by W.O.L.C Paragraphed C 9945.

Having researched all this, I found a line drawing showing the plug removed and the Tracer No.13 screwed and grubscrewed into its place.
It is now way past my teatime, but I will send a photo tomorrow.

Attached is a dimensioned drawing for a tracer holder for the 3" 12/13 pr family of shells. I wouldn't be surprised if they 'cut & pasted' the dimensions into the 17 pr/77mm drawings. The 3" etc., used a No.1 Tracer, Shell. The No. 13 Tracer, Shell is described as being 'similar' to the No. 1. Towards war's end authority was given for Tracers No.s 10 - 15 inc. to be manufactured from VIB steel.

TimG
3 inch.jpg

P.S. - I've just found Plates for the No. 1 & No. 13 Tracer, Shell. The thread is the same and the No. 13 was made of steel. Camera battery is flat, will post tomorrow.

Last edited:
The No. 13 Tracer, Shell shown is the Mk 4, which utilised a one piece body, from what I can gather the previous marks were similar in construction to the No. 1 Tracer, Shell.

TimG
IMG_1455.jpgIMG_1456.jpg

May I request the details for the 1.6 inch fuse hole? What diameter should I bore out the projectile nose to before I start threading, and what are the threads per inch?

I cannot measure the diameter of the fuze hole at this time. 14 TPI.
Same fuze as used in 20Pr HE, 76mm Arm.Car and 6Pr 7Cwt HE if you have these projectiles.

As Ron stated it is 14 tpi Whitworth form.

For 2" Guage, which was the standard and also 14 tpi Whitworth form. -
Major diameter - High 2.003", Low 1.997"
Minor diameter - High 1.912", Low 1.906"

In the absence of any drawings, I would suggest subtracting .4 from the above.

TimG

I have a fuse plug for the 76mm HE ARMDC. That should be perfect. It is a good thing I stopped boring at 1.536 inches. It will be a little large, but it will still thread. Do the L17, No. 244 and No. 256 fuses have the same external dimensions? Thank you.

Last edited:
Fuze Comparison.jpegMy 17Pr HE has a No257 fuze. Photo shows comparison of profile with 76mm Arm.Car Plug and L17A4 fuze. Seems same profile..
The fuze hole diameter seems around 1.515" so you are oversize.

Last edited: