What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

identification

lcn

Hi
I look for information on this mortar fuze.
diagram,name
Thank you in advance
regards
lui:cheer:

mortar_01.jpg

Well i have no idea..the trigger looks similar to those used on ww1 stokes mortars,but the lever is different.it looks to be attatched to a time mechanism..are there any markings etc on this at all

Hi
I do not possess this fuze. According to the owner it would be about a Migley fuze (I am not even sure of the spelling).

regards

formex

Ok i will see what i can find using that information ,,hopefully someone else may have some details as well

Sorry but i have been unable to find anything on this fuze/detonator,,did you have any success your self............spotter

hi
Thank you for the search, I am going to try to have better information
regards
formex

Thought i would ressurect this post now we have more members.Does anyone know what this fuze is .....

This is a Midgeley Time Fuze used in the nose of a 40 lb Incendiary bomb or a Type TWR Parachute Flare (WW1). It's the first picture I've seen of one. I can supply information on functioning etc, if Spotter can arrange for the assocated diagram to be shown (beyond my capabilities !!).......

eodda

thanks for the identification eodda,i have sent you private message ref the picturs........spotter

Spotter. What happened to the blurb I sent you on this fuze? I'd like to use that photo in my book on British bomb fuzes - I've never seen one in the flesh. I sent a private message to lcn but haven't yet had a reply.

eodda

apologies eodda

?MIDGELEY? TIME NOSE FUZE

Where used: 40 lb Incendiary Mk. I Type ?A? & Mk. II Type ?B?
TWR Parachute Flare
Functioning: Pyrotechnic Time
Armed Condition: When the two safety pins are removed
Pistols/Fuzes used with: None
Arming Time: On release
Vane span: Not applicable
Maximum body diameter: Unknown
Overall length: 5.375 inches / 136 mm
Colour: Unknown
DESCRIPTION
The Fuze consists of body containing a cocked striker (E), a timing ring and scale, a percussion cap (F), two powder rings (G & L) and a magazine charge (M). The striker is held in the cocked condition by an over-centre trigger (B) retained by a safety pin (H). The trigger is a lever with a hook-shaped lug which engages with the striker roller. A second safety pin (H) passes through the striker stem. The timing ring can be rotated to align an index mark with the required functioning time of between 5 and 20 seconds shown on a fixed scale etched on the body. A cover plate (A) on the timing ring gives access to both timing rings to enable the functioning time to be set. A flash channel beneath the lower powder ring leads to the magazine charge.
OPERATION
The required functioning time is set by rotating the timing ring to align the index mark with the correct point on the scale. The cover plate is then raised and a special punch is inserted and struck with a hammer. This has the effect of rupturing the material covering of the two powder rings, thus exposing a small area of each of their fillings directly opposite one another. The cover is then closed.

A static line is connected to the trigger at (C) when the bomb is loaded to the carrier and both safety pins are removed prior to take-off. When the bomb or flare is released a pull on the static line will cause the hooked trigger to rotate out of engagement with the striker, which is then free to fly forward and impinge on the percussion cap. The flash from the cap ignites the upper power ring which burns through until the flame reaches the exposed area. The flame then transfers to the lower powder ring which again burns right through and is then transferred through the flash channel, to the magazine charge. The magazine charge then initiates the Illuminating Bomb exploder or ignites the Flare composition.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MARKS
1. Not applicable.
REMARKS
1. The Midgeley Fuze was designed by the Midgeley Company (later Midgeley and Hamer Ltd) of don W3. That company continued to design and develop Fuzes and Pistols up until the end of World Wars 2.Lon

midgley.jpg