What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picture from China

These are Chinese copies, manufactured internally until about the early 1980s. The photo is from the Chinese Air Force Museum just north of Beijing.

Here is the museum where the photo was taken, went there a couple years ago hoping to find some Japanese stuff, the bombs are the only ordnance of interest. With no ordnance the only other fun to be had was at the far rear of the museum grounds, its an open area and as you go further it slowly turns into the museums junk yard. Not sure if we were supposed to be playing around in the stuff, but as the old military philosophy goes, if it's not expressly forbidden, it must be ok.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 67
Nice photos. You were evidently on the "Self-guided" tour. I like to take those whenever possible, especially with a camera!

You get a lot braver when they give you a UN passport.

You're right Pete, here he is in disguise at the same site. As I said, you get brave -

Attachments

• DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 56
Cracking pics! Is the dodgy bloke me looking out for german stuff? :xd:

W

There is nothing German (or Japanese) at this museum, but what is interesting is that at the Military Museum in Beijing there are a number of WWII German projectiles. Some 15cm, some 7.5s, etc. Probably 10-15 total. While there on a photo jaunt for Jap stuff I spoke with the munitions curator and asked him where they got them, he said that all items in the museum came from in-country, they had no budget for bringing things in and did not trade. As far as he knew the items were discovered in-country. The pieces are all (as I recall) unfired and in good condition.

The only reasonable source to my understanding would be that they were brought by the Japanese. But while you might expect them to be trialed in Japan, deployment to China would seem pretty unusual. To my knowledge no delivery systems have been seen, and no German pieces dug that I know of. Thoughts?

Could the German stuff been post WW2 aid to Comunist Chinese Forces from the old Soviet Union? That could explain its how it came to be there.

Then there should be some sign of the using weapons - in order to be useful it would have had to been substantial - more than a couple weapons. Looking through the photos in the National Archive, I searched the Korean War, captured enemy materials, and saw plenty of Jap artillery, but no German.