What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Cases

Wolframmo

I wonder if someone can help me...I am aware of many different finishes of German WWII cases, such as...

Brass
Steel
Brass on Steel
Copper on Steel

My assumption is that the variations were due to material shortages, mostly Brass, and therefore steel was used instead, which was plated or painted with other materials to prevent oxidation.

I have two questions...

1. Is my assumption correct, i.e. Why was this done ?
2. I have seen (and own) restored German case which have been painted. Was this actually done during the war, and what colours were used.?

Does anyone know?
Wolf

Wolf im sorry but i do not know the answer to your question,but there are a few members who do collect German stuff,give them a few days to see if they respond if not ill name and shame them into it....regards spotter

As far as I'm aware,the only reason that the cases were made from steel was to save costs.

The only brass washed steel case I own is dated 1942.

As for painting the cases,all I can do is guess that it was for identification purposes.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
Andy

Email sent to Mick,please be patient as the old rascal works nights,so i dont know when he checks out his Emails.

best

w.:)

now then,just had a quick chinwag with the Mickster and he reckons you have literally answered your own question amigo!:)

The germans painted some cases a `buff silver` or `aluminium` and others `lacquered grey`

Early production cases were indeed made of brass as that alongside copper soon ran out early war.
This is why you find a lot of rounds with Iron drive bands.

hope this helps?

cheers

w.

Post edited by: waffenamt, at: 2007/08/06 20:00

Thanks W.

So does anyone know of any 'official' German references that specify the Buff Silver, Aluminum, or Grey lacquer that would actually have been used.

I assume RAL colors

Wolf