Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 646 Posts

Paint colours for 6pr6cwt HE projectile.

Hi I want to paint the projectile on the right in the correct colours/stencling etc. The projectile is treated and filled to cover up the pitting so needs finishing off (I tend to leave as bare metal usually).

Has anyone got the details for the 6pr6cwt that they could send me or post a picture of on the forum please?

Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Thanks

6pr6cwt colours

Hoggs book on british and us ordnance of ww2 has a drawing of the shell in the relevant section, colours would be as for the date for he shell etc. Thought someone would have come up with an answer better than mine before now. If you've not got the book above Ii could scan it in but its only small and wont look much.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hi thanks 2 pounder, I've got the book by Hogg called "artillery" and its got a picture of a 6pr6cwt projectile - the only thing is that the projectile in the photo is about 4cm long so is a bit hard to make out - any improvement on that would be really welcome.

Dave.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Restoration complete

Thanks to two very gifted and kind people on BOCN here is the sequence of restoration.
    The rusty lump (shown to the left of the case)...............
    had a new plug machined and then got filled and primed (oxide red)................
    It then got painted in colours as near to the real thing as we could work out
    A very big THANK YOU to the two mystery people.
    (Sorry guys, I've not named them, I'm sure they don't want a truck load of shells arriving at their door to be done up).
    Dave

18pounder
    nice and very authentic..good restoration

Images
    Thanks
    Hi Dave,
    They look great, nice restoration job. What role were these rounds used in?
    Best Weasel.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 693 Posts
    Dave,

Very nice round and projectiles. We have seen very few projos here in the states and even less in the way of cases. I got my case in Toronto years ago, the only one I had seen till I saw yours today. I saw one round in a military museum just north of Toronto. They manufactured cases and projos in Canada. Are yours made in the UK or Canada? Does anyone have any photos of the gun?

Thanks,

John
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hi thanks for the nice words guys but I stress I didn't do the restoration, its the work of others.

John I started a separate thread on this some time ago which people have added to with photos of their rounds. I've put info on there about my cases plus the littlejohn projectile variation.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/6pound...hlight=6pr6cwt

Dave.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 693 Posts
    Dave,

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't realize the LittleJohn was for that case!

My first knowledge of the gun was a brief mention made by Ian Hogg in his book British and American Artillery of WWII. It was in the regular 6Pdr section and it mentioned the gun with bigger ammo than the standard 6pdr.

There is another book, I believe titled Artillery by Ian Hogg, that had a few pages of ammo photos in the back, and there was a photo of a projo (HE) in that book. I have two projos, one a repaint, and one primered from Canada. I will shoot some photos and post, and look up the book reference.

John
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hi John yes the littlejohn is definitely for that case. I got it before I got any cases and couldn't work out why the diameter of the rear skirt was 60mm. The 6pr6cwt case is of course 60mm because the driving bands sit INSIDE the case. I then got in touch with a Canadian guy who seems to have a vast amount of information on such things and he dug out some notes on it confirming it was something that existed.
    Attached a photo comparing the rounds (not shoved into the cases, don't want to damage the bands).
    1 case is VAEL
    2 cases are VATV
    If you can dig out any more info on them plus pictures of gun etc that would be great.
    Dave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast