What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint colours for 6pr6cwt HE projectile.

SG500

Premium Member
Hi I want to paint the projectile on the right in the correct colours/stencling etc. The projectile is treated and filled to cover up the pitting so needs finishing off (I tend to leave as bare metal usually).

Has anyone got the details for the 6pr6cwt that they could send me or post a picture of on the forum please?

Dave.

Attachments

• 6pr 6cwt projectiles.jpg
    6pr 6cwt projectiles.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 140
6pr6cwt colours

Hoggs book on british and us ordnance of ww2 has a drawing of the shell in the relevant section, colours would be as for the date for he shell etc. Thought someone would have come up with an answer better than mine before now. If you've not got the book above Ii could scan it in but its only small and wont look much.

Hi thanks 2 pounder, I've got the book by Hogg called "artillery" and its got a picture of a 6pr6cwt projectile - the only thing is that the projectile in the photo is about 4cm long so is a bit hard to make out - any improvement on that would be really welcome.

Dave.

Restoration complete

Thanks to two very gifted and kind people on BOCN here is the sequence of restoration.
The rusty lump (shown to the left of the case)...............
had a new plug machined and then got filled and primed (oxide red)................
It then got painted in colours as near to the real thing as we could work out
A very big THANK YOU to the two mystery people.
(Sorry guys, I've not named them, I'm sure they don't want a truck load of shells arriving at their door to be done up).
Dave

Attachments

• BOCN.jpg
    BOCN.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 89
  • BOCN 1.jpg
    BOCN 1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 84
  • Restoration 1.jpg
    Restoration 1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Restoration 2.jpg
    Restoration 2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 104
Hi Dave,
They look great, nice restoration job. What role were these rounds used in?
Best Weasel.

Dave,

Very nice round and projectiles. We have seen very few projos here in the states and even less in the way of cases. I got my case in Toronto years ago, the only one I had seen till I saw yours today. I saw one round in a military museum just north of Toronto. They manufactured cases and projos in Canada. Are yours made in the UK or Canada? Does anyone have any photos of the gun?

Thanks,

John

Dave,

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't realize the LittleJohn was for that case!

My first knowledge of the gun was a brief mention made by Ian Hogg in his book British and American Artillery of WWII. It was in the regular 6Pdr section and it mentioned the gun with bigger ammo than the standard 6pdr.

There is another book, I believe titled Artillery by Ian Hogg, that had a few pages of ammo photos in the back, and there was a photo of a projo (HE) in that book. I have two projos, one a repaint, and one primered from Canada. I will shoot some photos and post, and look up the book reference.

John

Hi John yes the littlejohn is definitely for that case. I got it before I got any cases and couldn't work out why the diameter of the rear skirt was 60mm. The 6pr6cwt case is of course 60mm because the driving bands sit INSIDE the case. I then got in touch with a Canadian guy who seems to have a vast amount of information on such things and he dug out some notes on it confirming it was something that existed.
Attached a photo comparing the rounds (not shoved into the cases, don't want to damage the bands).
1 case is VAEL
2 cases are VATV
If you can dig out any more info on them plus pictures of gun etc that would be great.
Dave.

Attachments

• 6pr 6cwt projectiles 014.jpg
    6pr 6cwt projectiles 014.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 81
Very nice looking rounds! Its a miracle to find one here in the states, and you have 3! Hmmm

I think my case is VAEL.

The book I mentioned was printed in 1972. John Bachelor and Ian Hogg titled Artillery. It has a rendering of the Big Bertha on the cover. It says the projo is an experimental Brit AAA projo. I will shoot a photo of it.

John

Dave,

I let the camera out of its cage, so here you go. First photo is from the Bachelor and Hogg book, 5cm German AAA, 6Pdr 6cwt projo, and 40mm bofors.

2nd photo is my case, repainted projo and factory primed projo with shipping plug. It has a lead plug in the base. My case is RM/C instead of the VAEL I mentioned in an earlier post. Headstamp 6 Pdr 6cwt Mk II

3rd and 4th photos are of my repaited projo. Thats how I bought it.

5th photo is the fuze.

John

Attachments

• 6Pdr 6cwt MkII Hogg PhotoR.jpg
    6Pdr 6cwt MkII Hogg PhotoR.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 6 PDR 6cwt projos and caseRC.jpg
    6 PDR 6cwt projos and caseRC.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 6pdr 6cwt repaint 1RC.jpg
    6pdr 6cwt repaint 1RC.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 6pdr 6cwt repaint 2.jpg
    6pdr 6cwt repaint 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 6pdr 6cwt fuzeRC.jpg
    6pdr 6cwt fuzeRC.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 40
nice projectiles

Hi SG500 and HAZORD, I wanted to comment on your restored 6pdr 6cwt projectiles. I've for the most part long felt that original ordnance should be left alone and was against restoration. But to see how beautiful these projectiles came out I am going to rethink that idea. Those projectiles are "eye poppers" I'm in awe..Cheers.....Dano

Superb items.

Hi SG500 and HAZORD, I wanted to comment on your restored 6pdr 6cwt projectiles. I've for the most part long felt that original ordnance should be left alone and was against restoration. But to see how beautiful these projectiles came out I am going to rethink that idea. Those projectiles are "eye poppers" I'm in awe..Cheers.....Dano

I agree with Dano on that one-well worth the bother of restoration and the paint job is just superb !
Very nice and very rare items Dave.

Thanks Dano, yes there is a place for restoration - but for me its the exception rather than the norm.
Dave.

Dave,

I let the camera out of its cage, so here you go. First photo is from the Bachelor and Hogg book, 5cm German AAA, 6Pdr 6cwt projo, and 40mm bofors.

2nd photo is my case, repainted projo and factory primed projo with shipping plug. It has a lead plug in the base. My case is RM/C instead of the VAEL I mentioned in an earlier post. Headstamp 6 Pdr 6cwt Mk II

3rd and 4th photos are of my repaited projo. Thats how I bought it.

5th photo is the fuze.

John

Thanks for showing these photos John, really excellent and nice to know there are some more out there.
What does the wording on the fuze mean?
Dave.

I believe the wording on the fuze is the name of the Manufacturer, 1945, and St. Johns Quebec, the city in Canada where it was made. There doesn't seem to be a part number on the fuze.