What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3pdr

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi this is a 3pdr that i found and i am going to do up, ie driving bands and a paint job.
Andy

Andys image is in the following post

Post edited by: spotter, at: 2007/08/13 20:46
3pdr_shot.jpg

Andy,

Please can you tell me how you do the driving bands?

I have a few projectiles here without them and would love to be able to put one on!

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy
I will let you know its my first, i have done one using car body filla and then turned it in the lathe it looked good, but i think you could heat one up and slide it on and press it into place.
Andy

Hi AndyD
Just been thinking about the driving band, if you have a band thats been split off you could glue it on with Araldite and if you have not got a lathe you can hold it in place with one or two Jubilee clips until its set, or you could try and solder it .
i hope this is of some help.
Andysarmoury
head_with_band.jpg

andysarmoury is this ok for you..overall length approx 140mm along one side and approx 20mm deep.this came off a 3lb practice round.if its any use send me an email(with your address again as ive forgotten to keep it)....spotter
autographbook_003.jpg

Driving Band glued in place with Araldite and ready for painting
head_with_band.jpg

Post edited by: bolo, at: 2007/08/22 13:00

Thanks Spotter i couldn't have done it without you, all i need know is the case. i enclose photo know painted.
finished_head___band.jpg

There is a metal spraying technique whereby Copper is vaporized and hot sprayed onto a metal surface where it collects as a solid which can be machined to correct size afterwards.
It will be done by a specialized metal worker and will be expensive but the results would be undectable from an original if you got it right.
Good luck !