What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repro brocks igniters

paul the grenade

Hi All. Ive had a few inquiries about how i made my brock igniter so heres a few pics and a description on how to do it.
The black fuze is an original piece of bickford fuze 7cm long and the det is an original empty one that was never filled. A sutable piece of cord and Brass tubing would do just as well. the top of the fuze is wrapped with a strip of paper 1cm wide by approx 10 cm long. i covered 1 side with glue so it stayed wrapped in a cylinder around the fuze. I then twisted a piece of copper wire around it and let the whole thing dry. The det was crimpped on with original det pliers. the cloth tear off strip is a piece of cotton tape 10 cm by 13 mm which is readily available ar sewing shops.
Finally the lead cover was made from a sheet of thin lead cut into a cross shape (see pic) this was pressed over a piece of wood dowling and hammered till it forms a cylinder. It holds its shape well but can be glued at the joins if required. the whole thing is then assembled an the finished item looks great.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• brock 1.jpg
    brock 1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 115
  • brock 2.jpg
    brock 2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 119
  • brock cover.jpg
    brock cover.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 78
Hi Paul, can you post pics of the No16 with the fuze fitted? I have a No16 with the end plug missing so require a plug if anyone can help?? ou depending on how the fuze fits I may be able to fabricate a sutiable replacement
Regards

MG34Z

heres some pics of the fuze and plug. The fuze is simply slotted into the well and fixed by wrapping the copper wire around it a few times.
Very simple.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Brock in gren.jpg
    Brock in gren.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 64
  • No16 top plug.jpg
    No16 top plug.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for the great pics Paul, excellent...now to find a spare fuze well....
Regards
MG34NZ

Sorry to revive an old thread rather than create a new one. I noticed that there are two copper wires from the top of the fuze just under the lead cap but when fitted to the grenade I noticed that there are other wires wrapped around the black fuze. I thought it was two copper wires from the cap that attached to the det cap body and the same with the filler plug lug on the 15 grenade. Were extra wires used to secure the fuze to the body or were the two copper wires from under the lead cap used to assist removing the lead cap. I have also noticed that the replica fuzes have steel wires rather than copper, did they used steel as well.