What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2lb Flat Head Shot

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a 2lb Flat Head Shot with ano6 tracer,can anyone tell me more about this round
Poor condition was found in a stream which has resulted in reduction in size of round from water erosion ,this can be seen clearly on the close up of the driving band and tracer
anDSCI0097.jpg

i vaguely remember reading somewhere that these were also used for practice ,the ones i have recovered in the past have been found on training areas not on proofing grounds,would they still have used a tracer on the proofing rounds

Hi, What you have is, to use its official name, Shot, Flathead, Practise, Q.F. 2-PR. Mark IT. (the Mark II had a cavity for the tracer rather than the external No.6 tracer).
Source: Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 2-PR., Marks IX and X. 1938

Quatermass

Have to agree with you Q. And quoting sources is the best way to spread accurate knowledge rather than generalities. The trouble is with British ordnance the documented detail is not widely available. Not knowing the technical term for something should not put our site members off posting anything to the site and it is then up to those with the knowledge and reference material to add value.

And don't forget research takes time - I have lots of reference material, but finding the bit I need when I need it, well that's a challenge!!

Keep the comments comming.

BD

:)

Both 2 Pdr and 6 Pdr "Flat head" practice rounds were used extensively during the war for "short range practice! and could therefore be used on local ranges if conditions were right.
Many years ago whilst ambling around the Bisley/Pirbright ranges complex I found a pile of the steel "shot's" that the local scrappers had got hold off for the copper driving bands and the brass tracer elements, the pile was hiding an overgrown Pillbox !
That pile of steel has now been removed and the area cleared of the remaining projectiles (alas) but there were other local ranges that were used for the 2 pounders only as they were not big enough for the range of the 6 pounder.

Tracers on the 2 Pounders seemed to vary in design considerably, whereas the 6 pounders only had the rear recess for a Tracer unit.

Proof rounds will usually be marked by stamping = PROOF Mk etc etc or will carry a DDL number and tend to be slightly longer bodied than the practice rounds.