What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeking advice before purchase

LCplCombat

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
Ordnance approved
I'm looking for advice on the potential for restoration of the items in the photo. 25lber cartridge dug up in Holland and some frames for holding 25lber projectiles in a P.59 box.

I've never tried anything like this before so I need to consider carefully if should buy.

Attachments

• img1470t.jpg
    img1470t.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The metal frames appear to be fairly solid from the picture so they should clean up ok, the case has seen better days in my opinion although others may say not. It all comes down to the cost i guess, And your time to retore the above item/s.
Best Weasel.

25 lbr Frames

The frames look sound enough, though they might look different after sandblasting! As long as you cant bend any parts of the frames by hand they should stand up to sand blasting and then fill any holes with metal filler / sand /prime and paint.
Is the shell case one of those steel ones with the separately made base? I wouldnt sand blast it but try phosphoric acid. Its good at removing corrosion and verdigris without damaging the surface of the metal.
Good luck
Hangarman

They are currently located in Holland so i cant comment on the physically. Phosphoric acid and sandblasting? I was thinking about brasso :stupid:.

Hi Hangarman,
As for the two part case i don't think i have ever seen a 25pdr case constructed in this form. It could just be where the case has sat in a inch or two of water for a while making it look as if is a two piece construction.
Weasel.

Have you tried electolytic rust removal?

I have seen some good results, especially for stuff that has been in seawater, but have never tried it.

Does anyone else use it?

if its a standard 25pdr case there quite common anyway i may be able to get some if needed

regards lee

They are currently located in Holland so i cant comment on the physically. Phosphoric acid and sandblasting? I was thinking about brasso :stupid:.

You will need a good elbow if you are going to use Brasso:xd: