What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.5in Bazooka rocket

i'll scan it when i find some spare time... I also found the italian manual 'Lanciarazzo Bazooka da 88 mm' if you're interested ... Just PM me your email, and i'll mail it to you.

I noticed this thread surfaced again and it reminded me of a long term restoration project that still needs attention. About 20 years ago, I acquired the warhead portion of an M35 3.5" bazooka rocket. This was the short-lived version of the 3.5" rocket with a PIBD M408 fuze system that was issued in the mid-1950s.

An appropriate rocket motor has been found but it is still missing the motor to warhead coupler/fuze housing, the base fuze, and the entire aluminum nose assembly. The warhead is just a rusty shell but I'll add some photos once it's been cleaned and most of the larger dents have been removed.

Do any of our members have any parts or pieces for one of these or perhaps a complete example? Did anyone notice if the M35 appears in the drawing downloads previously posted earlier here? Thanks.

RickM35 Rocket.jpg

Attachments

• M408 Fuze.jpg
    M408 Fuze.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Rick,

Are you able to say what reference the two images are from?

Thanks

Norman,
I cannot check at the moment, but I would guess TM 9-1950 - ? There were at least a couple of different years of publication, so it might be in one but not the other.

Rick, by the diagram it appears to be different from the standard fuze/body assembly? I just picked up a very nice standard practice rocket that has the fins knocked off, it could become a parts piece if it helps.

Norman,
I cannot check at the moment, but I would guess TM 9-1950 - ? There were at least a couple of different years of publication, so it might be in one but not the other.

[...]QUOTE]

Spot on Jeff. It is in the February 1958 edition.

Thanks

Yes, the 1958 edition of "Rockets, TM9-1950" was the source. Earlier and later editions of this manual and others specific to the 3.5" launcher do not cover the M35 rocket. My assumption is the rocket did not last long in service, probably because of safety issues with the piezoelectric fuzing. There's probably a test report at DTIC or someplace that details all of this but I haven't found it yet.

Jeff, I appreciate the offer of the fuze/coupler but the one from the M35 rocket is definitely a different animal. The diameter is larger than the rocket motor or bottom of the warhead and appears unique to this series of rockets (HEAT and practice). That's why I'm hoping to find an example for a pattern or perhaps a drawing from the ordnance drawing books. Thanks again.

Rick