What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German B1 incendiery bomb

001_009.jpg

Wow.Ive been lookin for a good example of a item like this but after reading this string I now know I have alot of learning to do before I take the jump and invest in one of these.Thanks for the great subject guys.

A British made replica? I have never heard of that before. Did we really make our own exact replicas for air raid drills when duds could be found and emptied? Or the burnt out but still intact examples that people have posted?

Not a replica,surely!! that sounds like `sellers spiel` to me!:laugh: its EOD marked to show its been fully de-ac`d years ago(im certainly going to get ripped soon!:laugh: )
I think we made a similar one to this during ww2(not as successful as the B1).there are posts somewhere as spotter has a nice photo he got from the last Leeds show....;)

best
waff

I personally think it is very unlikely that they would go to the lengths of manufacturing an exact replica down to the fins during wartime for air raid drills. A round piece of wood with a set of recovered fins nailed onto it would be a much more likely item to be used for this purpose, in a similar fashion to the home guard's home made wooden drill rifles etc.

After all I have said, stranger things have been done. If it is British made, I wonder if the fins are as well? Looking at the picture, the body appears to have rust on it like it is made of a ferrous metal. Did you see whether or not the fuse unscrewed?

Didnt have much time to mess with it as i shouldnt really have been taking pics without the owners permission!:laugh:

waff

Ok guys,Im not sure how it seems to happen to me,but when I least expect it,Boom,one comes up for a price I couldnt refuse.And a question or two from you experts? Care and preservation? Canidate for a cutaway?Let me know....
Ord_015__864_x_648_.jpg