What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with this picture?

303Gunner

.303 target fired at 25m range from a (presumably worn!) No1 Mk3 SMLE made in 1918 by London Small Arms.:eek:oh:

Attachments

• 303_target.jpg
    303_target.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 199
Looks like it would make an even nastier wound than normal.....hitting you sideways!!

Dave.

Does not look very realistic to me as each bullet has hit the target precisely sideways. When fired from a bad barrel bullets may start to rotate around its traverse axis and therefore they ( at least some of them ) should hit the target in different angles?

It's got to be a fake. The odds that all rounds tumbled at the exact moment of hitting the target has to be astronomical. If it is real, someone should call the Guinness Book of World Records.

Heard of tumbling rounds but that is absurd - & probably fake.
Here`s one to make you chuckle though. My mate was desperate to get his marksman badge so he shot wide into the back stop & then when sent up to collect his target put a nice group in the target with his pencil!!!
I got mine the hard way & then had to try again several weeks later when we got issued 7.62 SLR`s.

Here is a theory for you on the target.
I saw a smashing documentary on telly not so long back and it was showing bullets from ww1 that had the tips pulled and replaced nose first.
The sniper then used to shoot at the German sniper position and the bullet would strike the `snipers plate` and cause shears of metal to come off the plate and hit the bloke in the face and neck?
Perhaps these are pulled bullets that have been shot at this paper target???

cheers

waff

Last edited:
I have an experience of shooting at 25 meters range with 7,65 pistol having a very poor barrel, in combination with poor quality ammo. Most of the bullets were tumbling and on target I could see hits sideways, nice round holes and holes indicating hits in every possible angles. This would be the case with the rifle bullet hits in the picture as well if really fired from a gun.

I Have had this happen to me when i was reloading 303 ammo with cast lead heads and testing them at 25 yds and they were all keyholeing like that i think they were not going fast anough and were unstable, but when i tested factory ammo they were ok.
Andy

In the early 90s I was a manager for a company that reworked SLR's Rifle 7.62 L1A1 for the MOD.

Had a guy who had a smooth bored SLR (so that he could keep it on a shotgun licence) & wanted it refurbished, which we did.

In a moment of madness we decided to test fire it in our 25M test range from an Enfield Rest.

It functioned perfectly & on inspecting the target afterwards found that 75% of the shot holes were full side bullet profiles.

Thinking about it now, it was probably because of the consistency of the firing: set range. weapon in a recoil absorbing rest & an ex army rifle champion shot pulling the trigger.

Hello all,
In 2008 I was shooting an S+W K38 revolver in Switzerland, I achieved a reasonable score considering that I'd not shot full bore pistol since the UK ban. When we examined the target it was noted that most of the rounds had tumbled. The problem was solved because after a thorough cleaning, particularly removing leading from the barrel throat, the pistol achieved a slightly better group without a single round of the same ammunition tumbleing.
So it's the same old answer, look after your weapon and it will look after you.
Cheers,
navyman.