What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust removal made easy... Really Easy!

Try some vinegar as well, just did up a Ross bayonet and it came out very nicely.

This is cheap and available at any grocery store.

I'm a huge fan of electrolysis, place item in bucket, large spoon of soda mixed with warm water to cover object, connect car battery charger (positive connected to an old bit of steel) and 3 hours later it's done.

Bren tripod T&E before/after.
33733275681_426dc20106_c.jpg

Electrolysis is an easy method that is basically chemical free, but it also removes paint. For items where you want to remover the rust, but retain the paint, what works better Oxalic Acid, or something like this Evapo-Rust product?

Electrolysis certainly does the job - but you need to keep an eye on it as left unattended it will blow out the rust pits! - remember it works at the micro level.
(depends also on how much sodium bi-carbonate is added as well)

Recently I have been using vinegar to restore a vintage ~1920s vertical steam engine used in a launch - yes slower than electrolysis but safer to leave objects soak overnight and then bench-top wire brush off - repeat to fully remove the "tea stain" after the first soaking.

This puppy has been neglected for decades - the piston was seized and the reverse gear was out of alignment - got it fully functional and now in the final restoration phase.

Here are some pre/post shots: (Restoration is still WIP)

Enjoy!
Cheers
Drew

BTW - the base /crank shaft bearing housing have been painted with hammerite - provides a nice "hammer" effect - great for surface that are rust pitted.

Attachments

• IMAG8815a.jpg
    IMAG8815a.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG8814a.jpg
    IMAG8814a.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG8141a.jpg
    IMAG8141a.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG7918a.jpg
    IMAG7918a.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG4876a.jpg
    IMAG4876a.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG4873a.jpg
    IMAG4873a.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG4830a.jpg
    IMAG4830a.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Vinegar works great, but it's a bit harsh and will chew holes in materials like tinplate if left a bit too long. Just this afternoon I purchased a quantity of molasses with a view towards using it to de-rust a set of WWII Australian mess tins I'd picked up cheap which were covered in surface rust.