What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hotchkiss stuff from Baltimore

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
I was able to pick up some Hotchkiss material during my trip to Baltimore.

I bought a total of 5 complete rounds and two fuses. I will show the fuses in the ... well I guess the fuse forum would be best.:D

From left to right:

Winchester repeating arms co.: 1) Base fused HE, 2) Brass case shot

Frankford Arsenal: 3) Nose fused HE, 4) Tin case shot

UMC: 5) Tin case shot

Both of the FA and the Winchester caseshot have a two-piece casing. The head was a separate piece riveted on. These are earlier, presumably. To the best of my knowledge, FA only made 2-piece, tinned cases and tinned cases were only made by FA.

Also note the Ordnance acceptance marks on the rotating band and head of the base fused HE shell.

It is unclear when the brass case shot superseded the tin version or, if in fact, production ever really ended for the tin version. The examples that I have show both types with the older casing and I have an example of the tin case shot with the newer casing. OTOH, the production dates for the "older" casing are unknown and it is possible that the FA produced an older style case into the 1900's. Another frightening possibility is that projectiles are not accurately matched to their original casings. Since these are all unloaded, that is a real possibility.

Attachments

• shells 001.jpg
    shells 001.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Shell mark.jpg
    Shell mark.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Head mark.jpg
    Head mark.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Very nice looking 1.65 inch gun rounds. These always seem to have turn of the century dates on them, 1898, 1900, etc. They were used by the U.S. Marines. For some reason a lot of these rounds showed up in the U.S. around 1988.