What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

165mm AVRE help needed please

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
This message is from TIGBRAND can someone help him please
i need to know what type of primer was fitted, The round is a 165mm AVRE dated 1968,SX 172A.Many thanks
ammo_097.jpg

Many thanks harry,your pic shows what looks like a bush for the primer to screw in to,which is damaged on mine,i will get a new bush made to pattern. As to the primer,is this used on other cases?Cheers T.

Hi T
If you like I could try & cut the one out of this projectile, the only thing is you would only get the head of the primer, the flash tube bells out & you can't get it through the hole so you have to cut it off.
The other thing you can do is try & find the carrying handle see photo
MVC_465S.JPG

Just looked at mine,i think i understand your explanation.I think the easiest answer is to find the carrier! Is the shell you showed u/s? By the way is this common round? Thanks T.

Cheers for the pictures Harry,I went to the tank museum today, and was shown a very damaged example with a pointed nose.Totally different again.Was the round you mentioned previously a scrap item?cheers Tony.

Hi T
I've only ever seen the drawing of the pointed round no that the luck to find on, here are the drawing from the Joint service book.
Yes the round i mentioned was a scrape round
it's another type from the ones in the photo it's a TP i'll post a photo of it for you.

Many thanks for all your help again.If the base could be cut off the scrap round leaving all the parts in place i would be interested in buying it as i could(with a bit of work!)make up a near complete assembly.Let me know if this is possible,Best wishes Tony.

Hi T
Sorry about the delay, been on holiday, I've managed to get the case off the 165mm if you let me know your address I'll send it off to you.
Harry
MVC_623S.JPG

Hi T
I've only ever seen the drawing of the pointed round no that the luck to find on, here are the drawing from the Joint service book.
Yes the round i mentioned was a scrape round
it's another type from the ones in the photo it's a TP i'll post a photo of it for you.
Hi Harry reviving a very old post here and the links don't seem to work for me. Would you be able to post the drawing of the pointed version please?
Thanks.
Dave.

Hi Dave
Is this the one you are after, there is also a Mk2, L1A2 & Practice, Paint schemes being different.
Harry

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 35