What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT Projector Infantry Anti Tank

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
The Projector Infantry Anti Tank or better known as the Piat,was designed by Major Millis.R.Jefferis, and was first refereed to as the jefferis shoulder gun,its original name was rejected by the ordnance board who renamed it the Projector Infantry Anti Tank
The Piat projects a hollow charge round which is capable of penetrating 75-100mm of armour(depending upon source of info)
The bombs available are
HE/AT
Practice
Drill
Practice Shot
Phosphorous

The practice and drill bombs are painted black
The practice shot is a sub calibre round that is basicaly a steel tube with a solid steel head ,this requires a special adapter tray which is often wrongly descibed as an adapter tray for using 2 inch mortar rounds

the projector in use
PIAT_in_use.jpg

PIAT The first shot..

before firing the first PIAT projectile with the weapon
the operator had to 'cock' the weapon by compressing the
spring. (as you can see in this film)

After releasing the trigger, the spring drives a piston
into the tail section (tube) and ignites the propelling
cartridge (see pic). The spring is compressed by setback
for the second shot, no need to 'cock' manualy.

This educational film origins from the Israeli army..

Earlier in this topic there was reference to the sub calibre adapter tray been wrongly described as for allowing the firing of 2inch mortars..The following pictures are of a genune Piat sub calibre practice round ..
This very rare round is available to buy for only 90 euros from
http://www.fjordhouse.no/ammo2/shop/shop.html
gb_piat_prac_1.jpg

These rounds were recovered and reused ,the head was removeable so a new propelling cartridge could be inserted
gb_piat_prac_2.jpg

Is this where the mortar myth originated...This universal carrier has 14 piats mounted onto it and was used to provide a barrage of piat rounds
1piat.jpg

The practice shot is a sub calibre round that is basicaly a steel tube with a solid steel head ,this requires a special adapter tray which is often wrongly descibed as an adapter tray for using 2 inch mortar rounds

the projector in use
PIAT_in_use.jpg
Actually there is evidence of the use of modified 2 inch mortar rounds for use with the piat so although the tray wasnt designed for it, eventually it may have been used for it.

An 11 year thread revival, that must be a record.

Someone has to this forum has become stagnant. Plus we can't just have half info for people to search. Thanks for all your input though, helps the topic quite a bit, learned a lot.

The REAL question would be, what was Spotters avatar in 2007.:bigsmile:

I'll add this to this thread to keep things together.
Original sectioned fuze.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0002 4.JPG
    IMG_0002 4.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 22
What mode is that fuze in. From a picture online I have seen the heavier spring open and the lighter one compressed. I have to admit I havent quite figured out that fuze yet.

What mode is that fuze in. From a picture online I have seen the heavier spring open and the lighter one compressed. I have to admit I havent quite figured out that fuze yet.

hope these help
allan
Image 0118.jpgImage 0119.jpgImage 0120.jpgImage 0121.jpg

Ah makes sense. Also makes sense why the documents I saw talked about accidents caused by that fuze on firing (the "blind "that is mentioned)

Thanks.