Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks

some old shells on my shelf

Thought I'd post a picture of some old empty unfuzed shell I have picked up from various places, thought they might be interesting to those of us who like very old things. All are nominally 3in calibre ie 9pr or 12pr.
    From left to right they are Read shell ? c1860, Armstrong common shell date 1888, Studded RML common shell dated 1878, and Whitworth solid bolt c1870.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Thanks

Great condition.

They appear to be in very good condition for something so old 2 Pounder !

ave you re-furbed them or are they "as were" condition ?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 644 Posts
    Very nice Whitworth, I'm still struggling to track one of those down.
    Dave.

Images
    Thanks
    great condition nice shells

regards lee

Premium Member
    Thanks

old shells

Only the Whitworth has had nothing done to it, and has a few dinks and small vice marks on the plug cos probably someone didn't know they have a LH thread, makers markings are all clear. The studded had the rust brushed and treated with Genolite, light fill P38 then paint. The one I think is an American Read had the same treatment but a bit more P38 on the front bourrelet having been fired and the Whitworth bolt was described as looking like an 'iron turd' before restoring again similar sequence as above but my lathe doesnt do hexagons so loads of hand work to blend.

Images
    Thanks
    Wow great things to have in your collection, most of us would struggle to find one of those for our collections. The resto work looks good.
    Do any other members have any 19th century items to show?
    Best Weasel.

John D. Bartleson Jr.
    Hi,
    Those oldies are beautiful. may I ask where you obtained the 3 inch C.S.A. Read shell with time fuse adapter?
    Regards,
    Bart

Images
    Thanks

Thumbs up oldies

Quote Originally Posted by 2pounder View Post
    Only the Whitworth has had nothing done to it, and has a few dinks and small vice marks on the plug cos probably someone didn't know they have a LH thread, makers markings are all clear. The studded had the rust brushed and treated with Genolite, light fill P38 then paint. The one I think is an American Read had the same treatment but a bit more P38 on the front bourrelet having been fired and the Whitworth bolt was described as looking like an 'iron turd' before restoring again similar sequence as above but my lathe doesnt do hexagons so loads of hand work to blend.
    Thanks for the info 2 pounder and a really interesting set of "oldies" you have done a cracking job on them-you even have one Dave (SG500)doesn't have

Images
    Thanks
    Great old shells 2 pounder
    Richard

Premium Member
    Thanks

oldies

Thanks for the compliments on my work. The Read shell ( C.S.A.- not sure what that refers to) and the studded and the Whitworth all came from a fellow collector in the UK did a deal and swopped some bits for them. The Armstrong which I called a Whitworth in my last post, anyway the lead coated one, came from a shop in Bournemouth area in 1991, saw it and realised I had to have it, fortuneatley the price was fair, what its worth now goodness knows.
    I might have one Dave hasn't but from his posts I suspect he's got lots I havent.
    2PR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast