What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

percussion caps-for what ?

roller63

Premium Member
I have this small tin, marked as per photo, it's only 2.5\" long, 2\" wide and .75\" deep. painted green with yellow markings. Gold anodised interior (empty !) it cost peanuts, it's in mint cond and has the metal box marking on the back MB 6. Does anyone know exactly what these caps were for ? I'm hoping they were for the Home Guard weapon the Northover Projector which used caps to fire the main charge, like an old musket. Any ideas ? Tony.
MVC_259S.JPG

Hello roller63,,this is NOT a positive id of your tin,,i have seen a few of these for sale lately the descriptions of the contents has varied a lot,some have said they are for detonators ,others for artillery tubes (used for firing charges without having to use cartridge cases) ,even for the blacker bombard ??
someone must know what they are for

I am fairly sure these are artillery percussion tubes for 5.5\" and the like.

Regards
TonyE

I am fairly sure these are artillery percussion tubes for 5.5\" and the like.

Regards
TonyE