What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My resistance collection........

John H

Hi,

here's some of my WW2 Norwegian resistance items, most are from my relatives and an old friend who led a sabotage group.

Milorgnumbered.jpg

Some of this has gone to pay for my Harrier stick/grip and other aviation items but I have kept a lot of family stuff.

cheers for now,

-John

Interesting bits there John, Great to see the variety thats out there....Whats an Aussie doing in Norway???? is your thermostat broken?
Regards
MG34NZ

Hi JohnH

Item 1 looks very interesting John what Radio Transmitter is that , i dont recognise that model at first glance i thought it was a 53 model can you tell me more about it please , being a radio amateur anything radio wise interests me!
Steve
You asked about Dave Sampson , he got a 5 year sentance for firearms offences, most of his collection of grenades were later retuned to him.

Hi Fuzeman,

No.1 is a type 31/1 'sweetheart' 1-12 MHz receiver dropped into Norway beginning in 1943 in parachute containers, across the border from sewden and via boats from Britain. The germans banned radios here and confiscated most private radios. They had three minature 1T4 valves, a 30 volt anode battery (gives ca. 120 hours service).
The milorg (resistance) used them a lot to hear news from England and instructions from local leaders. Around 5000 were made with norwegian instructions on the plate attached to the receiver.

Sweetheartradio01.jpg

It was designed by norwegian Willy Simonsen (later of Simrad A/S) who worked for the SOE at the Inter Service Research Bureau. They were produced by Hale Electric in London. (I had one in o/k condition then my dentist gave me this complete unit still in it's box!).

cheers,

-John

Last edited:
Hi:
Welcome to the forum. I have seen this pic before, but I cant remember where.

Hi,
I might have posted it on the M1 carbine forum or a WW2 forum a long time back.

Here's another view of some of my things, the S&W Victory was stamped 'UNITED STATES PROPERTY' but was in .38 british as were most revolvers dropped to the milorg. The pencil fuses (with pocket instructions), armband & Mills grenade were also from my old resistance friend, the 1941 Minox camera was from an WW2 polish soldier liveing in England, he took it from a german prisoner in 1944.

WW2resistance.jpg

cheers,

-John

Last edited:
Interesting bits there John, Great to see the variety thats out there....Whats an Aussie doing in Norway???? is your thermostat broken?
Regards
MG34NZ

I married a nice Norwegian girl nine years ago, that's 10 very cold winters down and ??? to go!

My family here has a cabin in the mountains, I was 'snooping' up in the roof one day and found a Mauser pistol magazine, 2 x Lee Enfield spike bayonets, a Mauser K98 bayonet, .303, .45 (norwegian & US made, US .30 rifle & .30 carbine, german 7.92, 9mm (british, german & US made) a signal pistol, Sten magazines and a few other items........ my father-in-law said the cabin was used as a weapons stash for the local resistance (his father was in charge of weapons for his group). He also said that up until the 1970s there were still an M1 carbine & a Sten there.

My M1 carbine was taken out of the container in 1944 and never used, Guttorm, my friend was the original owner and had it under his bed (registered) until two years ago when he gave it to me, I had to have it de-activated at the gunshop before he would give it to me.

cheers,

-John

PS: I'd like to show you guys my two handguns I have here, is that o/k or is it not usual?

Last edited:
Thats excellent John, sounds like an interesting place to be! I guess there would be a lot of goodies still stashed away waiting to be found.
All the best from the southern side!
Andrew MG34NZ

Nice collection

What a pitty you had to deactivate the carbine.:tinysmile_cry_t4: They are such sweet shooting little rifles. Who was the manufacurer of your carbine if you don't mind my asking?

Is the S&W Victory revolver deactivated or live?

Like the carbine, the Victory was de-activated, it was before my membership in the pistol club and being able to have it legally.

The day before we took the carbine to be de-activated I asked Guttorm if we could take it to a friend's farm (only 20 min away) and fire it a few times before it was de-activated, he seemed very scared that he/we would get into trouble.... this was from a man who joined the resistance at 16 and ended the war leading a sabotge group with 18 official 'actions' against the germans!

The victory and the carbine have gone to a gun collector friend now, once I joined a pistol club and got permits I needed some money to buy the two handguns I use at the club (it's more fun shooting tin cans at the cabin).

I'll post a photo of my 'new' items soon........

cheers,

-John

Hi,

here's my two handguns............. (the only firearms I own).

Mytwoclassics.jpg

The 9mm Walther P88 was from an ex-member of my pistol club, it's S/N 001024, number 24 of only 10,000 made. It has hardly been used and came in the box with three mags & the owner's left-over ammunition (400 rounds). It has windage adjustment on the rear sight, it's accurate and very nice to shoot.. it has a magazine release, slide release & hammer drop levers on both sides (I'm a lefty so that's great).

Handgunboxfoam01.jpg

The 4" Smith & Wesson model 18 in .22 was a little rough when I bought it from the local gunshop, I cleaned it and fitted a new set of grips.... now it's very nice looking and lovely to shoot.

The white laminated cards are the permits for each handgun and must be carried at all times. (Just to show that they are both legally owned)

I fitted out a Walther and a S&W case with closed cell foam. (S&W are the Walther people in the US so the cases match except for the colour and the logo on the front).

My club has a nice indoor range but in summer we sometimes use our outdoor range just for fun. I usually take the S&W to our cabin inthe mountains for some tin can 'hunting'.

cheers for now,

-John

Last edited:
What a pitty you had to deactivate the carbine.:tinysmile_cry_t4: They are such sweet shooting little rifles. Who was the manufacurer of your carbine if you don't mind my asking?

Hi gi,

it was made by Inland Division (GM), I had many interested enquiries when I showed it on the carbine forum because it had never been in the army (as such) and was as original as when it left the factory in 1944.
I would have loved to have it as a shooter but the government changed the law on them only a few years back because some hunters were useing them to try to bring down large animals.

cheers,

-John

Last edited: