What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What means R.L.B.?

Defender

Hello,

what's the meaning of this abbreviation: R.L.B. ?

I found it on a british 4.5\" naval case of 1970.

One source said that it means: Royal Ordnance Explosives, Division PLC Co. Birtley/Durham.
But as I know from other listings, this factory used the abbreviation ROFB.
So I'm a little bit confused. Maybe someone can help.

I'm also looking after a (more or les) complete list of the british RL and ROF factories until 1970 and their codes/abbreviations.

Regards

Defender ,i found this on another website,also found one saying ROFB is the Stamp for Royal Ordnance factory BIrtley

R arrow l Royal laboratories Woolich.

RL Royal Laboratories Woolich Arsenal.

RLB Royal laboratories Woolich.

just been doing a web search and keep finding that Royal Laboratories Woolwich closed in 1967,Defenders RLB cartridge is 1970 and just looked on my RLB 105 and thats dated 1982,So im now wondering if upon closure of woolwich the RLB stamp was used by Birtley

well, I did a web search too and found this list of ROFs:
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-royal-ordnance-factories?cat=biz-fin

It's right, after some closing downs from the late 1950s to the 1970s the remaining ROFs were privatised in 1984 and became Royal Ordnance PLC. In 1987 RO PLC was sold to BAE Systems.
Look here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/royal-ordnance-factory
and here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/royal-ordnance

Poorly the list mentioned above says nothing about the kind of factory Birtley was resp. is. But it seems that there was no Explosive ROF or a Filling Factory. So I developed this theory: Birtley made the brass cases and delivered them to the RL Woolwich and other ROFs. Like a \"house-manufacturer\" for the RL the cases were marked RLB. Through all changes of ownership this stamp stayed in use.

Just a theory. Post your pros and cons please.

agree with your theory,been trawling again and found mentions on Birtley producing 4.5 shells,,,155 fh70 ammunition,something to do with annealing cartridges whatever that is,..ive been looking for an email address for BAE to ask about this topic but cant find one ,,could someone ellse have a look and see if i missed it

RLB stands for Royal Laboratory Birtley then it was change to ROFB
The purpose of annealing is a heat treatment they do to case & projectile before they draw them out in there required shapes
I?ve attached a photo of a of the draw stages of the 5.56mm NATO cases in made, it is annealed to stop the brass becoming work hardened & brittle during these stages.
MVC_655S.JPG

Hello HarryG,

thank you for your reply.

Do you know when the change was? Or could there be a re-change from ROFB to RLB?

I have RLB on a 1970 british 4.5\" naval case , as I mentioned above.

Defender wrote:
I'm also looking after a (more or les) complete list of the british RL and ROF factories until 1970 and their codes/abbreviations.

I am putting a general list together, just bare with me. (it will take some days, busy busy busy..)

Dillo

I am not an artillery expert, small arms ammunition is my forte, but I am fairly certain RLB is not Royal Laboratories Woolwich.

I believe it to be Birtley as suggested.

ROFB is Royal Ordnance Factory Blackburn and it is found on 9mm Inspectors U Mark I cartridges.

Regards
TonyE

On this day I spoke to a most helpful gentleman at Birtley who confirmed that their monogram had been \"RBL\" but of late, it is now \"BY\"

\"ROF( B )\" (amongst others) was the monogram for Blackburn.

TG

Ammodillo wrote:
Defender wrote:

I am putting a general list together, just bare with me. (it will take some days, busy busy busy..)

Dillo

I can supply a complete list of British small arms ammunition manufacturers codes, including Commonwealth countries, from the 1870s to date if interested as they are all listed in my book on .303 inch headstamps and markings.

Regards
TonyE

\"Headstamps and markings on British Service .303 Ammunition\"

The pamphlet is actually a 50+ page book with complete identification details for all British and Commonwealth .303 rounds. There are also pages of colour pictures of the package labels. It explains all the changes in markings and codes over the years.

[pinched this one]

Many thanks 'Dillo for the publicity!

In addition to the .303 booklet I have also written a series of short books on secondary British small arms in WWI, covering all the non-standard weapons that entered service.

Part 1 covers the Japanese Arisaka rifles and carbines.
Part 2 covers Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service weapons
Part 3 (due out shortly) will cover land service weapons and Part 4 (later in 2008) will look at Royal Naval small arms.

Regards
TonyE

Get them in the stores before Christmas i would suggest..
Prices and an ordering address would be in place here :cheer: