What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocket Powered Hedgehog A/S Rocket

GregN

Hi all, attached is one of the more bizarre items I've picked up at a gunshow. A total impulse buy:tinysmile_shy_t:, probably because I wanted to tell my wife with pride that "I was the ONLY guy on the block with one" (ok, city and probably province)! I think we all say this to our wives, right:tinysmile_shutup_t2) Anyway, it appears to be a rocket propelled Hedgehog anti-submarine bomb. I haven't been able to really ID this system, it's not a Squid, so what is it? Any ideas out there?

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• squid1.jpg
    squid1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 82
  • squid2.jpg
    squid2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 79
  • squid3.jpg
    squid3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 86
  • squid5.jpg
    squid5.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 66
  • squid6.jpg
    squid6.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 68
Here are some more pics of the pistole for the Hedgehog.

Attachments

• squid6.jpg
    squid6.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 32
  • squid7.jpg
    squid7.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 42
  • squid4.jpg
    squid4.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 53
Hi it looks like the AS bomb or squid if you can tell me the fuze details i should get a positive id for you

From the TM
OA length 38.6 inches
Body dia 19 inches
nose fuze Mk131
for use against patrol vessels and submarines the most common installation was 2 4 rail launchers mk20 with a fixed elevation of 48 degrees
Steve

I was wondering if anyone knows how this system worked. Did the bomb have to actually hit something to go off or was there a depth option with the fuze as well?

Was it only the US that used this sytem or did the Royal Canadian Navy use as well?

I would assume that the sea floor is littered with stuff like this.

Greg

sorry mate that link i put on isnt working ill see if i can find it in fullagain,,i am sure when looking it up this morning i saw mentioned canada using them as well,(but i cant find that now)
try again for the upteenth time grrrrrrrrrrrrr
nope

Last edited: