What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 47mm Afv

Rich all these rounds came from the french EOD which had a clear out recently of all their WW2 shells ,bombs and mortars it was a huge collection and all the items are beatiful.

Pic of HE round showing fuze below...the round was designated 7,5cm SprGr patr 231 (f) in German use.

75he.jpg

Does anyone have any more pictures / drawings of this round, in particular the fuze???

Rich

Hi Tig,

I recently purchase two French 47mm rounds for the MLE 37 anti-tank gun. (see pic below)

mvc_867s.jpg

I believe that the AFV - eg Somua S35 and CharB1 etc used the slightly shorter barreled MLE 35. which used a 47x193 case as opposed to the 47x380 case of the MLE 37 & 39.

What I don't know, as I have very little information, is whether the MLE 35 used the same projectiles.??

From the link below on Tony Williams site, i looks like the AP from the MLE 35 (AFV) was different

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/tank1.jpg

Do you, or anyone else have info on the French MLE 35, 37 or 39 rounds?

regards
Rich

I have two empty
47x193 cases and I am ready to stuff those holes. I would like to machine a couple replica Mle38 explosive projectiles like the projectile on top in this photo until I can be so lucky to find the real deals. Does anyone have drawings for this projectile?

Thanks
…..JR

Last edited:
37-02 is the Tube cannon case (Quatermass is correct), used and made into ww2 on French Navel ships. Post ww1 used for experimental AA guns (with D shell projectiles with an auto time fuze) as well as for practice. These have been recovered in the boxes from sunken ships. Projectiles are normally the 1916 solid shot for practice or Mle 1931 which is the same but drilled out for a tracer, 1892 penetrating projectile with no fuze.
For ww1 use these were loaded with everything that would fit for Arial use. This case would have made a very good AT gun round for the time if the Tube cannon
had been mounted on a carriage like the imported American B.S.C. guns, as good as the ww2 U.S. M4 AT gun in fact.

Attachments

• FR-Mle37-02Ariel.jpg
    FR-Mle37-02Ariel.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 59
I must say that this thread is an excellent resource & ( as a newly-joined member ) I'm glad that it has re-emerged. At this years' Beltring show I picked up a couple of 47mm casings and have found that good information about the projectiles is not easy to find.