What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British practice bombs

If you havent found any screws yet pm me with your address and i will send you 4 as to the nose cone good luck with finding one.
Regards
Tom

Thanks for that Tom,

Have got some screws already - My Dad was an Armourer in REME and saved a few small screws and washer of different types & sizes.

These Nose Cones seem very elusive indeed.
Friend of mine said you should be able to find some on Cowden ranges. Bit too far for me to travel (4-5 hours or so).

Will probably end up making one out of something or other.

Thanks again for the offer of the screws.

Kind regards, Pete.

Hi Racymec, I guess you either dont drive or you dont live in Beverley East Yorkshire.... Either way Cowden is a long shot but the nose cones are plastic/Bakelite?? so wont corrode. If I could find one I could gat a friend to copy it, there must be a market out there...
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,

I must be getting a bit old now as I'm not quite getting the ' you either dont drive or you dont live in Beverley East Yorkshire ' bit, but I'm not even sure if I could get on the area without getting arrested (wife would be pleased!), or if I would find a Nose Cone intact. :tinysmile_cry_t2:

If they are made of Plastic, Bakelite, or any other such material then I would have thought these would shatter on impact as the Practice Bomb is fairly heavy and would be hitting the ground at a fair rate of knots.
As for making money out of these - not really my thing. Fine, if someone wanted to buy one then they could make a donation or something.

Making reproductions? :neutral: I would have thought someone would have got on that 'Band-Wagon' long ago.

I will research Cowden Ranges a bit more, and will also contact a few ex-colleagues of mine, to find out if it's worth going at all.
Until then it's back to shuffling along on my 'Pimped-up Simmer Frame' around East Yorkshire to see what other goodies I can get my hands on.

Kind regards, Pete (Recymech)

Pin is to show size, cone has a grove on the inside as can be seen in photo's 5&6

Web pin label 001.jpgWeb pin label 002.jpgWeb pin label 003.jpgWeb pin label 004.jpgWeb pin label 005.jpgWeb pin label 006.jpgWeb pin label 007.jpgWeb pin label 008.jpgWeb pin label 009.jpgWeb pin label 010.jpgWeb pin label 011.jpgWeb pin label 012.jpgWeb pin label 013.jpgWeb pin label 014.jpg

and some photo's of my incomplete 4lb Smk & Flash.

Thanks for posting those Richard.

Mine hasn't got the metal end piece as in photo 7 & 8. Are there different versions of this Practice Bomb?
On mine the nose section/end already starts to Taper off before the nose cone part, which makes me think that perhaps there must be more than one type of nose cone.

20160131_164921.jpg

Kind regards, Pete.

Last edited:
Hi Pete,

If you look at the 2 photo's on post No 40 on page 4 by Jayteepee_1999, you will see lots of practice bombs, you also get full size bombs filled with concrete. So yes there are many types, your 3kg and I believe the 7kg? are the only 2 to have this type of Bakelite nose cone. Not my field but I do find them interesting as they are relatively small and easy to handle. I don't have a nose cone for the 7kg but know a very nice man that does have some.
All the Best.
Richard

Thanks for that Richard,

Has this 'Very Nice Man' possibly got a spare Nose Cone for my version?
If so I may be interested in one.

Would you be kind enough to pass on my interest and contact?

Kind regards,
Pete

Just a quick update of my Practice Bomb.

Initially I had tried to make a Nosecone out of plaster/filler but this ended up as a bit of a disaster.

25840944ot.jpg

With help from a kind forum member I managed to got hold of a proper cone and also a new tag and pin - a Big Thanks for that.

25840943hd.jpg

Now just need the second one and the aircraft to put tem on !! Don't think the Wife would be too pleased.

Thanks again for the help with this little project.
Kind regards,
Pete.

25841088rd.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a 25 lb practice bomb. Looks like original off-white repainted bright white. The markings inside the tail section are 25LB IV [AT] VAD 1948.

Tony.

I'm going to add some pics of mine, still has the safety wire, it's also a 1946 25LB VAD IV [AT], what's the going £ rate for these ?

25lb practice1.jpg25lb practice2.jpg25lb practice3.jpg

Thats a really nice example I have about 20 different types but yours has eluded me over the years I would expect to pay about £50 in that condition but it would depend how bad someone wanted one
hope this helps
regards
Tom

Still finding these on Cowden Beach, but the heads have all been crushed with the impact, found one with brown line and one with a green line around it. Will try and put photos up. Also found another type with the tail about 12 inches long, it looked complete with no damage, could also see more in the cliff face ready to fall out.

does anyone have any information about this type of practice bomb its a inert 28lb no1 mk1 retarded have got the fins to open out but can't get them to lock shut.
Thanks
Tom

Attachments

• 28lb no1mk1inert.jpg
    28lb no1mk1inert.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 24