What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of Fuze?

M

Matt W

Hi,

Can anyone identify this - guessing it's a mortar fuze of some type.

PC190001.JPG

Markings are as follows -

24/31 RYG
MLE 19181

BKI is CY 6-42 121

Cheers

French
Fuze RYG 24/31 Model 1918
75mm field gun ammo
81mm mortar
used from WW1 and untill after ww2
*manufactured in steel for german army during WW2

Thanks Spotter!

More questions i'm afraid!

Found this on a former Anti-tank / infantry training area in North Yorks. What British units would be using this equipment? I've a vague recollection of a reference to the 75mm gun being used for training as nothing else was available after Dunkirk.

Is the CY marking the Chorley BKI, or is it something French? I've another two fuzes with similar CY numbers.

Thanks,
Matt

Hello Matt ,may i ask which training area,britain has a long history of foreign military units coming over here for training,one of the areas i work on is regulary visited by the belgians and others,,also could have been brought here for evaluation,or even disposal e.g ive found ww2 german artillery rounds in wales,,turkish in scotland,,i will see if i can find anymore info on this fuze but my non uk data is very limited

The 'Mlle 1918' Model 1918 replaces the model 1917 and was adapted and produced by several countries. It is based on the Remondy-Gaba system.
It is a direct action percussion fuze containing 2 grams of Mercury Fulminate. The 'Remondy-Gaba system' should be read and understood as a patent.. (the French use systme instead of patent)...

Now, that should give you a lot to think about.

Cheers,
Dillo

PS: it is a direct copy of the Stokes Brandt percussion fuze, and Stokes Brandt is in fact the Swiss Energa buro who also represented and develloped for PRB and MECAR.. (how small the world is) and how neutral the Swiss were.. LOL

Thanks Dillo,

That's a lot of info!

Spotter,

I found these on Fylingdales Moor, used as a range 1940 onwards, cleared 1961. Items found during clearance were 2\" mortar HE, 2\" Para , 3\" mortar HE, 3\" Smoke, 3\" Phos, PIAT, Energa rocket HE, 37mm smoke, 75mm HE and 79mm HE (?). Also lots of 17pdr and 25pdr.

Forgot to mention that the fuse does have a WD crow's foot marking.

Thanks,

Matt

I can see that moor from where im working now,,are you ex EOC group Matt ??
wonder why they kept the French description stamped on the fuze MLE 1918

Unfortunately not, i have to work in an office! Ex - RAOC though.

I'm from Robin Hood's Bay originally, that's why i know the area.

I take it you are working at RAF Fylingdales at the moment?

Dillo,

Sorry, didn't actualy see/ find anything, i got the Clearance certificate from the Public Records Office which lists the items found. The area was cleared in 1961 - a bit before my time:)

Spotter - are you on a EOC job at the moment?

Yes i am Matt...
just a quick reminder to anyone reading this post and thinking of going up there to look for old fuzes etc..
DONT
this stuff is designed to kill and all these years later it is still as nasty in some cases even more sensitive.Just because a fuze is found without the projectile it does not mean it is not live and the same goes for projectiles or any other items.
If you do find anything while out walking and you dont know what it is ,or you recognise it as a item of ordnance ,take note of the location and report it to the Police .DO NOT TOUCH IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES,,If you need to take something take photographs