What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about british fuze manufacturer

rigby

Hi,

where are this two manufacturer

1. \"B.S.C.\" found on Fuze T&P No.85 from 1915
2. \"CY\" found on Fuze D.A.No.117 III from 1942

thanks
rob

BSC= Bethlehem Steel Corporation usa made fuzes supplied to britain
CY= Chorley ,Lancashire(uk).. i think ....someone please confirm

Confirm CY is Chorley, a major large calibre filling facility.

Regards
TonyE

Most British ordnance fuzes were made at Royal Ordnance Factory (R.O.F.) at "Blackburn" this was stamped on Fuzes as BN and included Naval munitions also.

Chorley (CY) was merely the filling station where the pyrotechnic trains were inserted along with any required detonators.

This facility probably still exists but will be under the umbrella of BAE defense systems.

Chris 42 RQ wrote:
Most British ordnance fuzes were made at Royal Ordnance Factory (R.O.F.) at "Blackburn" this was stamped on Fuzes as BN and included Naval munitions also.

Chorley (CY) was merely the filling station where the pyrotechnic trains were inserted along with any required detonators.

This facility probably still exists but will be under the umbrella of BAE defense systems.

Thats some very interesting info there Chris.

Are you from lovely Lancashire?

if so,please PM ,mate!
would be great to have a fellow Lancastrian aboard!:p

waff

Chorley is no more - it was closed just prior to Xmas 2007.

On the Lancashire theme don't forget Risley and Radcliffe there's also Patricroft (might be south Manchester) and Healey Hall.

The monograms I have listed for Blackburn are;
ROF( B )
BE (East Block)
BE (West block)
BUS (208 Fuze with US mechanism)

This complicated by
ROF Blackpole
RNAD Beith &
Bentley engineering also shown as having BE as a monongram, but its not uncommon for companies to have the same monogram initials.

The only listing I have for BN is RAF Bircham Newton.

Rigby, the 117 in your avatar is interesting as its shown as having been manufactured by "Renold and Coventry Chain Co. Birmingham" in October '37. It seems odd that we were contracting private companies to manufacturer fuzes at a time when the government seemed oblivious to the impending conflict.

Tim. G.

Hi Tim,
yes,both Blackburn and Chorley are now housing or industrial estates.
There are still some storage bunkers at Heapey(chorley) and still fenced off and cctv security present.
Thats probably the one you are referring to.
cheers

waff

I have an new Question about british manufacturer.
Who is "WD" on a No.221 Fuze?

Thanks
rob

Are there any letters after WD?

...and is the body of the fuze a grey non-magnetic [die]casting?

Tim,

I ask about the body because I have a No 119 Mk II paperweight that is marked WDC (as part of the casting) and stamped CCo 4 42 and also stamped RY 5 42 54. I assume WDC did the diecasting of the body and CCo completed the internals with Risley doing the filling. If this is so who is CCo in this case, surely not Carron. What do you think?

Thanks

PS the 'o' in CCo is superscript. Cook Co and Chadwick Co seem to be a possibility but I don't know if they were involved with fuzes.

Norman,

There is also W.D. & S - Dobson & Sons, Ltd. [W.], who are shown as fuze manufacturers. Also, Cossor, [A.C.] who made No. 221 fuzes. WDC supplying the diecasting makes sense, although they are shown a fuze manufacturers(No. 151). Cook Co., (Manchester) Ltd looks good for the assembler. The only Chadwick I have is Cobden Chadwick Ltd., Oldham, which might just justify a superscript 'O'. Neither of which I have listed as fuze manufacturers. I think I have the fuze contracts for WWII, I'll take a look.

Tim

Update
********* Cook & Co had at least one contract for 100,000 No. 119 fuzes, mark and date unknown *********

Last edited:
Tim,

Obliged. I have seen quite a few diecast fuze bodies but have largely passed them by as uninteresting. I should have taken more notice of their markings.

Are there any letters after WD?

...and is the body of the fuze a grey non-magnetic [die]casting?

I have seen only a photo from this fuze.
I believe the lover part from this fuze are brass and the upper zinc or alluminium.
After WD are only numbers 9/40 591.

WD are W.D. & S - Dobson & Sons, Ltd.?

Many Thanks
Rob