What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type 17 ,Any ideas on restoration??

Hi I recon the course of action would be a transparent filler with a mix of ali dust Or use clear glue and load it woith Ali , theres not much you can do i,m sorry to say

If the filler on the threaded section 'falls out' glue it back with Cyanoarylate (super glue), you can get various consistencys and spray on accelerators and debonders.
You should be able to pick it up from any good model shop.

Quatermass

Gentlemen,i thank you all for your inputs.
I shall start this coming weekend.
I will then employ spotters colour scheme and methods he once did on a bomb fuze,i think it was grey/black type 25 if i remember??

again cheers boys,

waff

Hi Fellas,
im going to bump this thread as ive started work on both fuzes.
I have got a gorgeous set of electric clocks for this type in a transaction with a fellow member.
They fully strip down and will look great alongside my rough one when its `done up`.
Ive decided to try and unfreeze my rough set of clocks.Ive started by carefully scraping the crud from round the threads and where the clockwork sleeves in.Plenty of WD-40 to soak in for a few days.

Whats next?,should i put a small piece of wood over the end to tap out the clockwork from the sleeve or do i soak the whole lot in something for a while?
Remember though that i dont want to destroy any of the plastic fittings in the clockwork,so can anyone recommend any soaking agent??

cheers

waff

Hi Waff, You may already know that it is far cheaper to buy WD 40 in a 5 lire container from a motor trade factor than to buy lots of aerosols. It also means that you can fill a jam jar or similar with it and soak things fully immersed. When you have finished with it, you can use it again and again, just by removing any sediment. Beware though, anything of an oily nature will eventually affect plastic, rubber (very quickly !) and even bakelite etc. Tony.

Thanks Roller,
The corrosion problem is my main worry.
I shall continue to spray it and gently tap it to work it through.
Heres a couple of pics of the nice one ive just got..
S7001861.jpg

I couldnt believe it went that bakelite transit cap turned up in the `junk` box!.
The original `o` ring came with the new clocks too!

Final shot of the clockworks side on..

this is what im hoping to achieve when i have freed up the rough one posted earlier in this thread.
I have also been on the look out for some `devcon` aluminium filler but K-Supplies have stopped stocking it.
My brother recommends another filler with the same quality,so all not lost yet!

again,thanks gents for all your inputs.:)

cheers

waff
S7001869.jpg

Bump!

It took me ages to find this thread again!:dry:
Im bumping it for Fuzemans perusal.

cheers

waff

Hi Paul
Its a lovely looking (17) Clock mechanism , not corroded by the looks of it
its the 1940 model clock enclosed in ali case
regards
steve

Thanks Satan,

Its now married up with a decent head and the gaines plus ZuS40 attachment,ready for a plinth.

best

waff

Since i started this thread,i have now removed the outer cover on the `dog` set of clocks.
They are in clean up stage with pictures to follow soon.Im now left with an old Aluminium cover that i will donate to someone if they need some genuine wartime ally to smelt for repairs on your items?

best

waff

A couple of shots of the clocks now the outer sheath has been removed,its in pre-clean condition at the mo.
Will prob soak it in oil and give a light rub with light grade wire wool.

waff

Attachments

• S7003636.jpg
    S7003636.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 10
  • S7003637.jpg
    S7003637.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 10
  • S7003638.jpg
    S7003638.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 10