What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3in stokes mortar anti aircraft

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Found this interesting picture in a 1919 dated document about the 3in Stokes mortar,,Its an Anti Aircraft version..it doesnt say much about it,and i wondered if this was used in WW1 and how effective it was,,does anyone know....spotter
3in_stokes_anti_aircraft_1919.jpg

Hi spotter, I can imagine you would be highly unlikely to hit an aircraft with a round from this weapon. Surely this has a very low muzzle velocity indeed,cheers Tony.

A picture from the same series can be found on page 40 of the book 'Mortars by Hogg'.

The only reference I can find after a quick google search is this:-

SS 189 Light Mortar Training, June 1918. Chapter XI, Anti-Aircraft. Barrage Lines and Aimed Fire against Aircraft.

' A design of a light mortar sight suitable for anti-aircraft work has been approved. It consists of two mirrors set at an angle of 150 degrees mounted on a wooden block, which can be placed on a sight bracket.
The front half of the mirror is used in conjunction with the forward aperture sight for the attack of aircraft approaching at an angle or for crossing shots; the back half of the mirror is used in conjunction with the back aperture sight for aeroplanes going away in any direction...'

Seems like a piece of nonsense and I doubt it ever got beyond the idea stage.

Quatermass

The answer would appear to be contained within the following document:
AIR 1/530/16/12/92 - Adoption of Stokes Mortar Bomb for use against Kite Balloons (1916 Apr.-May)

I will not be at Kew until after Xmas, if I remember I'll include it in my ever increasing list of documents to view.

Tim. G.

This image shows the sight system as shown attatched to the previous pictures of the AA mortar tube
Screenshot___14_12_2007___05_39_52.jpg

I've got 1942 dated Home Guard proficiency book by John Brophy which states that the Northover projector,
'may be highly effective against aircraft still in the air, especially if they are troop-carriers'.
Love the idea of sky punching with S.I.P.'s. Strange days!

Quatermass