What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

molten metal

jimmytx3

hi all, i have just recently returned from the Falkland islands on a visit to the old battlefield of mount longdon ( i served in 3 para during the conflict) and this is our mountain, and while i was walking amongst the rocks i found this piece of molten metal, i was wondering if anyone could identify what it is,
Is it? what is left of a heat round after hitting rock, a 66 law, i have fired them but never seen what is left at the other end,
hope you can help. bye for now jimmy
i have enclosed a photo of the rocky terrain it was found amongst.
PB070065.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

Hello Jimmy welcome to the site. sory but .I have no idea on this its a difficult one

Hi jimmy,

did you find owt else on your trip to the Falklands?,i would love to have had a look around the old battlefields like you did.

cheers

waff

yes, just pieces off shrapnel, couple of british 7.62 cartridges, trip was mainly to see mount longdon, i was quite badly wounded there, and just wanted to go there and pay my respects to the lads who never came back.
BenThorsen241.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

Your molten metal lump may well be part of a HEAT round but it is not the business end or "core" of the round.
On striking the target a "stand off" fuze "spits" a fierce flame /detonation wave into the Copper cone of the shaped charge (the explosive charge is contained behind the "Copper" liner) and when this charge is ignited the explosive force "inverts" the Copper cone turning it into a super heated steel cutting flame along with a Copper Slug that exits the steel plate on the other side of the target, these "slugs" can sometimes be found a long way from the target, a typical LAW 66 Slug would be about 2" inches long and about 1/2" diameter and would resemble a rod that had been taper turned on both ends but at different angles.
Sadly I do not have any photographs of these "Slugs" as I swapped them before I got the digital bug !!
And of course at the moment they have a price tag attached for scrap value !:angry:

Hope this clarifies your lump of metals previous form !
Is it Aluminium or Lead ?
Hope this makes sense as I am not very good at explaining things.

And extremely well done for playing your part in British history-Bravo!

Nice one Chris on the extra info.I also agree with your comments to Jimmy at the end of your post as well.
I was a schoolboy when hostilities broke out and followed it on the news nightly after legging it home as fast as i could.

best

waff

hi all, thank you for information, it is about 6 inches by 4 inches and about half an inch thick,
i think it might be made of aliminium, the argy were also firing these at us not sure what it is..it is not me in photo it is a member of my platoon,

131.jpg

Jimmy tx3 that missile looks to be an AT-3 Sagger,sadly i cant find a cutaway drawing for you but these used a shaped charge ,
heres a copper slug i have as a key ring

DSC00032slug.jpg

spotter wrote:
Jimmy tx3 that missile looks to be an AT-3 Sagger,sadly i cant find a cutaway drawing for you but these used a shaped charge ,
heres a copper slug i have as a key ring

DSC00032slug.jpg
that a nice souveneer, thanks for that.:)

Sorry to disagree, but the AT missile looks more to be a Cobra. Cheers, Bruce.