What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 X 181/R Pansarvarnsgevar M42

SG500

Premium Member
I'm sure someone must have posted information about this round on the forum somewhere but I couldn't find it (Waff posted a picture of one from Micks collection with some other rounds but that's all I could find).

In about 1938 an artillery officer called Jenten and an engineer called Abramson developed a recoilless anti tank weapon at the factory in Eskilstuna (Sweden). In 1942 the weapon (anti tank rifle) was adopted by the Swedish army and was known as the Pansarvarnsgevar M42.

The rifle weighed in at only 12kg and was 140cm long

The projectile could go through 40mm of armour at 200m but by 1945 this was not enough so the weapon became obsolete.

The projectile in the photo is the AP/T version.
HE/T, HE, practice and drill rounds are also found.

The photos show the complete round, round with projectile next to it and headstamp. The varnished disk that would blow out when fired is still present.

All INERT/pulled/oiled etc. (I realise the projectile isn't in the case as far as it should be, projectile won't come back out if its put in correctly).

Dave.

Attachments

• 18 April 09 008.JPG
    18 April 09 008.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 18 April 09 006.JPG
    18 April 09 006.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 18 April 09 007.JPG
    18 April 09 007.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Falcon. I don't know if the primer flys off with the disc, possibly not, its fixed in place very firmly by a framework above the disc and inside the case.

Oh now that's just showing off Tony.
I assume nobody was standing behind it!!

Dave.

This is an old thread but I'm trying to find specs on the Pansarvarnsgevar M42 and 20x180R cartridge. I've read the article on Tony's site, but there's litte information to find elsewhere. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Projectile weight
- Total loaded cartridge weight
- Cartridge case weight, outer diameter
- Propellant weight, grain configuration (I assume it's a double base propellant formulation, but if you have more information that would be great)
- Projectile flight characteristics (MOA, mils, extreme spread) at known distances.
- Any technical reports, manuals, letters (such as the one referenced in the article from Burney) could be quite helpful.

Does anyone have such information? Or clues where to look for such information?

- Zac

The one I had was pulled by the previous owner. He showed me the propellent and it was made up of pieces of flat cordite about 1cm wide and 6cm long. In the base of the case was a small flat bag full of granular propellent. I don't have a sensitive balance to weigh it so can't help there. I posted a thread with the tin for it also.
Dave.

Thanks for the information. I've seen a youtube video on someone firing this weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUoBb3h9HWA

Not sure if the cartridge was reloaded or an original with the six plus decade old propellant (yikes!).

Curious how accurate the system would be at ranges beyond 1000 meters . . . anybody know anyone who might have an answer to that? Doubtful what few existing cartridges there are would have consistent propellant properties after aging that long.

I wouldn't expect too much in the way of accuracy for a recoilless weapon at long range. Too many uncontrolled variables, and if it was found to be inadequate at normal ranges, then it certainly wouldn't have the inertia to be much good at long ranges, against armor.

Armor isn't the application I had in mind. According to Tony's website, Burney had suggested its application as a sniper weapon. Current 20 mm anti-material rifles fire projectiles in the 2500-2800 fps range, and are currently very heavy (45 lbs to over 75 lbs) with quite a bit of recoil despite weight, muzzle brakes, and various other recoil-mitigation devices. From what I've gleaned online, the M42 achieves 2600-3100 fps and weighs about 25 lbs. Velocity isn't the only factor in a weapon system's impact dispersion, so I'm curious about longer range accuracy of the system . . . if anyone knows collectors that own functional M42's, I'd appreciate contact information . . .

DSCN1309.jpg

Hopefully you are seeing an image of both the recoilless rifle for which the round was made, and a few examples of loaded rounds. I ran accross the photo posted by someone who attended the well known Knob Creek machinegun shoot in 2010 or so; the particular rifle was offered for sale at that time for the price of US $15,000 - including the optic & ammo. Here is a video of such a civilian-owned gun being fired from the prone position (suggesting it has a nasty propensity to act as a rear-firing flame thrower as well!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeFlsEqkSHo